Dermatology Expert Forum
Skin on penis is dry, flaky, an red.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Skin on penis is dry, flaky, an red.

I have recently become sexually active with a woman again.  After each episode of unprotected intercourse I exhibit the following symptoms:

- Skin on gland and upper shaft of penis is dry and peeling.

- Skin is what I perceived to be (though I may simply be more sensitive to it because I'm concerned) an intense read rather than a healthy pink.

- What appear to be red bumps at the base of the glans (glands) on the topside.

- When I masturbate my skin becomes very raw and occassionaly cracked.

I've been tested for chlamydia and the results were negative.  I am not exhibiting any other kinds of symptoms such as discharge or sores that would suggest some of the other STDs.  I have seen a physician who diagnosed me with yeast due to the antiobiotics I was taking at the time for prostaitis, however I have ceased taking antibiotics and the skin issue has continued (as well as seeming to be linked specifically with intercourse).

I have tried topical yeast treatments, and moisturizing lotion.  The lotion stopped the flaking but not the redness or the susceptability to irritation.

Should I be concerned that this is something more serious? Do these symptoms indicate a condition that I might ask my physician about specifically?

Thanks.
No, you shouldn't be concerned at all.  These are the symptoms of irritation, which could certainly be brought on or aggravated by sex.  You should lubricate, minimize friction to the extent possible, and stop carefully examining or rubbing the affected areas.  If you're still worried, please show the penis to a doctor.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
I was just wandering what causes the flaky and peeling on the penis. I am sexually active and I think my gf might have a yeast infection. can this be why i got it.
how do you get the flaky and peeling on the penis what causes it
i recently used a latex glove... :O and i put baby shampoo in it. now the skin between my shaft and head is raw. how long will it take to go back? this has happened to me years ago but that was from masterbating (masturbating) to much.
A related discussion, red flaky and slightly peeling skin on penis was started.
A related discussion, drynes on penis skin was started.
A related discussion, my penis was started.
A related discussion, skin on the penis was started.
Sounds similar to my condition. Started off as yeast infection. But months of messing about with gum clinic misdiagnosis ended up seeing dermatology dr who stated. Have developed psorasis thrush is no. 1 trigger. Use zerobase hourly and sorry permanent at present  also if you have sore red flare ups like stinging nettle rAsh can be caused by sperm or other fluids getting in contact with blood via open sore creating allergy. Benedryl works great for this just one a day. NRS have been working on cure but needs major support. Clinical trials had 90% success rate. Also have this over face and scalp and use tar based shampoo and trimavate cream on flare up days. Good luck to all
A related discussion, penis problems.. :( was started.
Issue of my own.. Dry skin (using lotion seems to be working making sure it has vitamin E) skin was peeling, then there is the redness on the base idk what it is from the lotions seems to be making that go away too but I have also stopped masturbation until I have healed, meh I have more energy if I don't masturbate too haha :)
Anyways there is also no iching, minor irritation when I relax I don't notice it if I'm doing something, and yeah please tell me if this is serious because it doesn't seem so but idk