Skin on toes especially around toenails turns very white from being moi...

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Skin on toes especially around toenails turns very white from being moist.

This issue has been getting increasingly worse in the past couple of years.  I find that when my feet get moist either from getting sweaty in a pair of shoes or when in the shower, bath or pool, the skin on my toes turns white, especially surrounding my toenails.

I know that I've already got an issue with nail fungus, which I'm trying to treat naturally with an anti-fungal liquid which contains undecylenic acid.  It seems to be very slowly helping, but my pinky toenail is so far gone that I don't know how or if it will be able to be rescued.

I use a foot file at least once a week and when the skin around my toes is looking white and swollen, I try to file it off which appears to help until the next time I have a shower and it looks the same as before I filed the white skin off.  I should also note that when my feet are dry the swelling and whiteness subside.

I think it looks disgusting and it makes me feel extremely self conscious when I'm at the pool or when my boyfriend is around after I get out of the shower.

Why is this happening?  And what can I do to improve or stop it from happening??