Skin rash around my toddler's mouth...

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Skin rash around my toddler's mouth...

My 2 1/2 year old daughter recently began to develop a rash around her mouth. It is concentrated from just under her bottom lip and down onto her chin.  This rash does not seem to cause her any discomfort and does not itch.  The funny thing is that the rash will appear, almost out of nowhere, last for a day or 2, then vanish!  It may be gone for a few days or so, then it reappears just as quickly as it came!  This rash first presented itself about 2 or 3 months ago...it looks like a cluster of small pink bumps almost like little pimples.  The bumps do not ooze or crust over...just dry up after a day or 2.  It doesn't seem to bother her in the least, just isn't very pretty.  Do you have any idea what this might be caused by?

This discussion is related to Appearing/Disappearing/Reappearing Toddler Facial Rash.
From the symptoms it looks like dermatitis to the foods/ baby creams or even constant wetness of the area due to saliva or drooling. Check out the tentative allergens to which the baby’s skin is exposed and apply a good hypoallergenic moisturizer over the area and see if this improves. If the symptoms still persist then you can apply calamine lotion as it also helps in soothing the skin.

If the irritation persists or is associated with any itching then please get it evaluated from a dermatologist. Perioral dermatitis and atopic dermatitis have to be ruled out.
Hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries. Warm regards.

My son had the condition identical to what you are describing when he was 2 years old. We tried many different creams (prescribed by pediatrician) and it kept recurring for about 6 months. Then, it dissapeared after I applied Flagyl for a week (also prescribed). He was rash-free since then. Now I have 20 months old son with the same conditions. I am using tee tree oil on him and it seems to work. I apply very small amount around his mouth 2 times a day. Larger dose seem to cause burning sensation, so I apply only a little. The rash almost cleared in 1.5 week. Good luck to you!