Skin rash on shins

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Skin rash on shins

Every spring for the past three years, a skin rash has appeared on my shins, starting with my left leg, eventually moving to my right leg and minimally on my forearms.  The rash consists of small red bumps that look similar to acne, it is extremely itchy, then is blisters and pops (whether I itch it or not) leaving a scab.  It does not spread to any other areas of my body, my spouse and children don't catch it from me and it is not in my underarms or genitalia.  The symptoms seem to respond, minimally to tea tree oil and Monocycline (I've been to two MDs and go each year but this appears a mystery to them), however it takes months to go away.  I've been tested for scabies and I don't have bed bugs - checked for that, too - and no one else in my house has this rash.  Eventually it does go away, on it's own.  I've also taken antihistamines and used topical creams of Cortisone and Caladryl.  Everything helps a little for a short period of time to relieve the symptoms, but nothing cures it.  It lasts most of the summer and shaving my legs (or not) doesn't seem to make any difference to contain it.   I don't have any known allergies and there is no consistent pattern or trigger that makes it occur except that it flares up in April-May for three years straight now.  On one occasion, I was even on vacation in another state when it broke out.  Please help. This is frustrating, uncomfortable and my physicians are stumped.   Please let me know if you need more information.
The location is typical of neurodermatitis.Atarax25mg at bedtime during the outbreak,along with ext application of steroid is the mainstay of therapy.
Hi Lisa. I have the exact same thing, and have had it for the same amount of time. I share in your frustration, confusion and ultimate depression due to the lack of cause and/or treatment. Like you, my doctors have no clue what it could be and have even gone as far as taking a biopsy with no information gained. I wish you luck, and will keep you posted if I find out anything new that will help you.

Leslie
I have the EXACT same thing every Spring/Summer and the doctor said to use cortisone OTC but the burning and itching on my shins and ankles is so uncomfortable and making me nuts! I anyone has come up with a cause or solution, I'll try almost anything.