Skin rash
Dear doctor,

I am really depressed about my skin condition. To start with I weigh about 105 kg and based in the tropics. my profession requires long hours of standing. I was having apparently normal skin until a month back when i noticed red petechial non blanchable rash which was nontender, itchy, at the same time i noticed that my skin over my both lower legs were dry. I also used to get swollen legs by the end of the day. Then the rash gradually worsened, i used to put an emollient over it as per advise of a dermatologist. checked my counts, thyroid profile, and ESR which were unremarkable. I had also taken a course of cephalexin. Presently the rash has become confluent, pigmented (fig2). I also notice that the itching had reduced. Is this schambergs disease? Is it something i have to really worry about ? (?red flags). Please advise me. I have history of contact dermatitis. I also have stopped wearing socks as the lesions were distributed in that area. No rash were noticed elsewhere on the body. What other systemic disease should I worry about? My HbA1C was normal. And what should I do?
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
It is very difficult to diagnose an itchy rash like lesion without a clinical examination. The various possibilities of a round itchy lesion is varicose dermatitis (occurs over a varicose vein), discoid eczema (this may be both the dry or wet type), asteatotic eczema or a variant of discoid eczema over dry skin, gravitational eczema, atopic dermatitis, contact dermatitis (if you work outdoors or somewhere where some chemical or plant or any thing else comes in contact with your legs), or even psoriasis and tinea corporis (a fungal infection).
All the above mentioned conditions can worsen on scratching and have a recurring course.  Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. You will need to consult a skin specialist regarding this. In your case it would be good to consult a vascular specialist as well and go for dopplar studies for leg vessels. Take care!