Skin so weak it leaves imprints?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Skin so weak it leaves imprints?

What is my body telling me when I wake up from a night of sleep and the skin around my body and face is covered in lines from the grooves of my mattress..  or if I press my fingertip into the back of a fork and the imprint is left there for several minutes.

The grooves are red... and I have fair skin.  Is this a problem with circulation?

I have no information about this condition and cant find a technical name for it, so any information would help.  Thank you.
It can be due to dermatographism. Dermatographism can be caused by stress, tight or abrasive clothing, watches, glasses, energetic kissing, heat, cold, or anything that causes stress to the skin. In many cases it is merely a minor annoyance, but in some rare cases symptoms are severe enough to impact a patient's life.

It can be treated by antihistamines or cromoglicate and sometimes steroids, as they prevent the histamine from causing the reaction. As the underlying cause of dermographism is not known, it can last for many years without relief.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers