Dermatology Expert Forum
Skin spots

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Skin spots

A few weeks ago I started tanning at a tanning salon about  three times a week for 20 minutes each session.  About two weeks ago I noticed after a tanning my normal session of 20 minutes I had white oval type spots on my chest, stomach, back, and inner thighs.  Immediately after tanning my skin was very blotchy and itchy.  I haven't gone back to tan since, which was about two weeks ago.  I get an occassional itch here and there but the spots are still there. I asked the owner of the tanning salon what was happening and he told me it was a skin fungus and I should use Head and Shoulders shampoo or Selsun Blue shampoo and to put it on before showering and let it dry then shower as usual and that should take care of it. My mom, a nurse, told me my it might be my skin pigment. I tried Selsu Blue Medicated shampoo only twice since, I don't want to use anything until I find out what the heck this is for fear of making it worse.
    What can I do to get rid of these spots?  Can I continue to tan in a tanning bed or will that make it worse or make it harder to get rid of?  When I tan in a tanning bed, I do sweat.  When I tan out side I have never gotten these spots.  Could it be the tanning lotion?  I enjoy tanning in a tanning bed, but I need to know if it tanning in a tanning bed, the lotion or my skin pigment that is doing this.  I have simi-dark skin to begin with. Please help!  I am not uncomfortable, it is just visually annoying.  Thank you.
Shelley:

I'm not sure, but you may indeed have a common and nonserious skin fungus (not contagious!), which suntanning highlights by darkening the skin around it.  You should see a doctor just to find out what's up, because just getting rid of the fungus (i.e. with Selsun Blue) doesn't automatically bring the pigment back.  That takes time, but does happen.  Meantime, don't woryy: you haven't done any real damage to yourself.  But I do have to add that tannong is not good for you.  How bad, only time and research will tell . . .

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Hi im 18 years old and everytime i go to the beach i use sunblock(45) and i come back with some sunspots usually on my shoulders and arms.. i have been told to use selsun blue and vitamin E  cream and i have visited my dermatologist regularly i was just wondering if there isn't another home remedy i can use??
Hi Shelley!  I worked in a tanning bed for a while and what you are describing soungs like what are called sun spots.  The usually appear on fairer skinned people that tan inside or on people that have gotten really dark.  There is a couple of products made by the tanning companies for this.  They usually run between $3and $10.  Ask for a lotion that is for sunspots.  I can't remember the names of them or I would.  If the tanning facility you got to doesn't carry it, ask them to try to order it or go to another place and ask for it.  If you keep geeting them when you tan inside, then you will probaby have them every time you tan inside, but the sun spot lotion does fade them a little.  good luck!
Stephanie
Stephanie
If it itches, it's not the fungus among-us  It's just dry skin.......exema (eczema).....NO-xema.... use lotion....use a mild soap like cetaphil or dove....and lots of moisturizer.  Fungus on your sking doesn't normally itch, I don't think...see a derm...
Hey everybody, I am the one that started this whole forum of "white spots" Well, good news I DON'T HAVE
     ANY WHITE SPOTS ANYMORE! I don't think I had what all you guys have or had. I did not use any
     medication, it just went away in time by itself. I haven't had them for about three months now. I have not been
     back to the tanning salon since I noticed these which was back in May. I have never gotten these spots from
     tanning in the sun at the lake or anything like that, only when I started tanning in a tanning bed. My best suggestion
     to everyone is to just stay away from the tanning beds. I have done alot of research on this whole white spot thing
     and have found so many different reasons, I have come the conclusion that no body really knows how safe the
     tanning beds are and why these spots appear. It may very well be from tanning beds that are not properly cleaned
     on a regular basis and it could just be skin pigment or a skin fungus. But, I know how annoying these dang things
     are. But, anyway, its gone now and I don't have any spots anywhere....back to normal, thank goodness. So, a
     word to the wise, stay away from the tanning salons. If your spots don't go away on their own like mine did, see a
     doctor. Good luck everyone! And thanks again for all the comments!
shelley i had the same thing, and it was from indoor tanning. Use clotrimazole twice a day , morning and night and it wont take long untill they vanish
Shelley. The spots itch pretty bad. How did you not itch them? And do you think mine will go away in 3 weeks before my prom or should I go to the doctor?