Dermatology Community
Skin swollen, then dry and itchy
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Skin swollen, then dry and itchy

I woke up recently feeling that underneath my eye was swollen.  It wasn't very obvious, but indeed the area between my cheekbone and the bottom of my eye was swollen, such that you couldn't see the normal bags under my eye.  The swelling went down after a day or so, but now the area immediately under my eye (like where the bags would be) is leathery, somewhat peely and very sensitive -- I tired putting some light moisturizer on it, and it burned very badly.  Any ideas what this could be, or how I could treat it?
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi

A fungal infection or a bacterial infection may be present here. I suggest that you have this assessed by an ophthalmologist. A complete eye examination may be necessary. If the eye examination is normal, then you may need to have the sinuses checked if the swelling persists. If no other associated problems are noted, then a superficial skin condition may be likely considered here.

Are there any associated eye redness, tearing or discharge?
How about a previous history of trauma?
Blank
Thanks.  My eye itself hasn't been red, burning, etc.  It's all been underneath the eye, between the bottom of the eye and the cheekbone.  There's no eye redness, tearing, etc., and no trauma in the area.
Blank
Hi

A topical corticosteroid may help. A mildly potent 1% hydrocortisone cream may be applied thinly over the area once daily for 2 days. See if there is any improvement. If no improvement  is noted, wash the area with a mild cleanser and stop the medications. Have this assessed by a dermatologist if this persists .This may be a contact dermatitis or a fungal infection. If you have been using a new brand of facial cleanser or cream lately, you may need to stop these and see if the condition improves.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dermatology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...