Skin tags or Genital Warts?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Skin tags or Genital Warts?

about a year ago I noticed a small bump on my outter labia. It was raised a bit,flesh colored was soft and flexible but it worried me, so shortly after i went to the health clinic to get it looked at.  The doctor there said that it appeared to be a skin tag and said i shouldn't be worried about it... It didn't give me any discomfort but It never went away and was really bothering me to know it was there, so I order a natural remedy (ointment) online I wasn't getting fast results so about a month ago i decided to tie a string around it to see if that worked. about 24 hours later It completely fell off leaving no scar which made me very happy!!  I've been very careful to check myself for fear that i may find another. Well this morning I found another bump about a centimeter outside of my anus, almost Identical to the first one i had. I'm so frustrated. It looks like a skin tag but i've read online that sometimes genital warts can be mistaken for skin tags & I've NEVER had anal sex or anything of the sort so I don't know why, if it was a wart, it would be there!?!I have an appointment with my OBGYN in about a month in a half but this is driving me crazy I can't even focus at work!  Any input would be helpful
~(If it helps, last time i went for a pap exam (little over a year ago) everything came back perfect & I've only been with one person since who had also gotten checked for std's(which came back normal) before we slept together)~

Usually small outgrowths of skin on the body are due to  warts. Another possibility in this area would be skin tags, but since you have mentioned that there are others popping up, it could be genital warts.

These are highly contagious and are considered the most serious types of warts. A small cut or abrasion on the skin is sufficient for invasion and infection by a human papilloma virus and other types of viruses, these come into the top layer of the skin, and cause the formation of a wart on the surface of the skin.

If you have any doubts regarding the diagnosis, you should contact your health care provider for diagnostics and possible treatment.

Genital warts often occur in clusters and can be very tiny or can spread into large masses in the genital or penis area. In women they occur on the outside and inside of the vagina, on the cervix or around the anus.

The viral particles are able to penetrate the skin and mucosal surfaces through microscopic abrasions in the genital area, which occur during sexual activity.
HPV virus can last from 3 months to 2 years without a symptom. Having sex with a partner whose HPV infection is latent and demonstrates no outward symptoms(asymptomatic shedding) still leaves one vulnerable to becoming infected.

Genital warts (condylomata) can be confused with Molluscum contagiosum (MC), which is also transmitted sexually.

It is best to get it examined and reach an accurate diagnosis so that the appropriate treatment can be initiated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genital_warts

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for your symptoms and a proper clinical examination.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how you are doing.

Regards.

i have the skin tags appearing on my genitals they start off dark and come out lighter please help me