Skin that welts easily

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Skin that welts easily

My skin since starting university 3 years ago has become more irritable. For example, when I have a loose hair in my clothes it gets very irritating and I start scratching it. As I scratch, it gets more and more itchy to the point that it hurts to scratch but I can't, a little like a compulsion. Afterwards, I develop welts from where I scratched only. Welts develop as well if I get poked too hard or accidentally scraping my skin against a corner of a book while I'm reading. Sometimes I don't feel it when my skin makes contact with something and welts appear that look like I scraped against something.
I went to a doctor and she determined it to be something that had a long name, and was more of a irritation so it was not treatable. Therefore, she wrote me a prescription for hydrocortisol and that was about it. It still happens now and I was just wondering if anyone knew what it could be?
I am not allergic to anything and have no other skin ailments.

thank you!
Tags: irritable
I am in the same situation, and have had it since adolescence.  It gets worse when my life is stressful and was oddly absent during both pregnancies.

Ice or cold to the areas that flare seems to help, but I'm tired of concerned questions at the gym.

Any answers out there?

This problem that you are having can be due to dermographism. Dermographism is a normal physiological response of the skin. The term literally means writing on the skin. Firm stroking of the skin produces an initial red line followed by a broadening erythema and the formation of a linear wheal.

It can be treated by antihistamines or cromoglicate and sometimes steroids, as they prevent the histamine from causing the reaction. As the underlying cause of dermographism is not known, it can last for many years without relief.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted.

I have extremely itchy skin that I scratch constantly.the arms are the worst, but also on neck, legs, chest thighs (pretty much everywhere.) A dermatologist gave me a steroid cream with no relief. This has been constant for 11 months and now I am getting raised welts as well. Scratching is painful and causes skin redness, but it is impossible NOT to scratch. After I have an itch "attack" I cant stand any fabric near the skin.
What the heck is this?? It is driving me crazy.