Slammed Thumb in car door
My Husband slammed his thumb in a door and it is now black and blue. We are afraid he will lose his nail and wonder what is the care for the area after losing his nail.

Thank you
How are you?A subungual hematoma is a collection of blood  underneath a  fingernail which sometimes results from a traumatic injury. A laceration of the nail bed causes bleeding, hence, the black discoloration. Usually, the new nail pushes the old nail out. Subungual hematomas typically heal without incident. It is important to keep the area clean and dry to prevent infection. Take care and keep us posted.
Similar situation with big toe.  Caused by constant pressure against shoe end during sporting activity.
> 6 hours after, injury was throbbing pain and could feel my heart-beat with the pain pulses.  Drilled a small hole in center of nail and pressed blood out which soon after relieved the pain.  
Now 2 weeks later: under the nail became black.  Lake swimming cleared the black (removed the remnants of bruising) and was able to squeeze out lake water through hole in nail.  I know this lake is not the cleanest.  Last night soaked toe in <2% Hydrogen Peroxide for 35 minutes to prevent infection, pressed out any accumulated liquid with towel.

Just looking for confirmation of correct preventative action.