Dermatology Expert Forum
Small Dark Spot in Anal Cleft

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Small Dark Spot in Anal Cleft

I am 54 year old male. As I was showering two days ago the upper part of my anal cleft, just above the tip of the tailbone was a little sore. I have had this happen before usually do to sitting to long with pressure there or riding my exercise bike. At least that is what I suspect was the cause of the tenderness. Usually a few day so a triple antibiotic salve took care of it. Not sure if it is relevant but if I pull the skin apart the water makes it sting a bit. As I said, I cannot see anything, but with the finger it feels like there MAY be a pimple like item there.

This is not what is really worrying me sick. I took a mirror to see if I could see the skin break or pimple, but could see nothing. However, just about at the curve of the tailbone (no where near any mucus membranes) I noticed a small dark spot about 2 cms in diameter. Not raised and cannot be felt. Looks perfectly round and color may be black or dark brown, hard to say. It is inside the cleft and not on the buttocks. You cannot see if without spreading the buttocks abit. This may have been there for 30 years since this is not an area that can be seen easily or examined without really trying. If I had not had the irritation of the other issue I would never have looked. Now I am worried sick that it is melanoma. Father, sister and I all have many moles on our bodies, but no family has ever had melanoma that I know of.

Since turning 50 I have become obsessed with my health, especially since we hear so much on the TV and in the news about this topic. I think here we can go overboard sometimes. I do take Tranxene to try to control the anxiety. So I am trying to deal wth this and was actually having a good day until this was seen. Now I am sure that it is melanoma and I will die from it. Does not help that I have a phobia of doctors which makes visiting one hard, if not impossible.You were a calming agent in past and I am hoping that you can do the same right now. I am so scared. Please give me some hope.
Because this is such an out-of-the-way place, you are quite right to say that this spot may well have been there a long time, and you just never saw it.  There are lots of dark spots that aren't melanoma.  What you have to do is get to a doctor as soon as you can, because that's the only way you'll know.  You may also want to look into counseling to address your hypochondria, which is understandable, given all the publicity about cancer, etc.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff