Dermatology Expert Forum
Small Flat Lesion

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Small Flat Lesion

Hello- I have a small nearly flat lesion on the side of my knee. I have had melanoma in the past and want to make sure this is not a recurrence. I can post photos if possible. It is about 4/16's of an inch wide and 6/16's of an inch long. Slightly darker than skin color and it is single color. Edges look relatively sharp and it is elevated maybe a hairs width or less (very slight elevation). Under a digital microscope that I recently purchased it looks kind of like super small raised warts. I just want an idea of what it may be before I call my Derm. If it helps is it possible to post those pictures (just need to know how).
Thanks!
Thanks for posting your query.
I can understand your concern but from your symptoms granuloma annulare is an important possibility to be ruled out. It is a benign granulomatous disease characterized by a ring composed of smooth, firm papules or nodules on the skin which gradually enlarges. It is a result of an immune-type reaction of the skin.

Granuloma annulare is self-limiting with a course of about 2 years, treatment is not necessary except for cosmetic reasons. Treatment is generally topical steroid creams, followed by oral steroids and finally intradermal injections at the site of each ring.
Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Wishing you good health.

See my profile for the pictures. Thanks!