Small Open Wound Turns Into Large Rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Small Open Wound Turns Into Large Rash

Two weeks ago I noticed a very small circular open wound on the outside of my thigh, it was stinging and itching. It wouldn't heal or form a scab correctly for several days. My first thoughts were it was a puncture from one of my cats claws or a small foreign object got lodged in the skin. I applied Neosporin and finally the wound part closed up but the spot turned into a lump with no fluid or discoloration. The last couple of days I wore panty hose, and I think it may have irritated it because its now turned into an area almost the size of my palm, red, bumpy, rough that is hot and occasionally itches and stings. I haven't noticed any other illness that I would associate with a poisonous bite or infection, but I do sleep in a garage at night where bugs frequently roam (Southern California). It did not resemble two little punctures from a spider bite, I didn't notice it when it first happened, and it didn't form a rash until almost two weeks later so I am not sure what its from! I am not allergic to anything I know of.  It has gotten worse over the last two weeks, and I can now feel it when just walking around. Any advice or diagnosis would be appreciated.

Since the rash is hot and slightly itching and burning, I would suggest you to get insect bites or cellulitis ruled out. Take some oral antihistaminics like Benadryl or Claritin and apply some calamine lotion on the rash.Application of mild steroid cream is also useful.But fi the symptoms persist then please consult a dermatologist.
I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.