Small black bump on lip

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Small black bump on lip

I have had a small bump on on upper lip line for about a week now.  It is painful to the touch.  It is too small for anyone to notice, however I can tell its there and it doesnt appear to be getting any better.  It is very small and appears to indent in the center with a tiny black dot.  This led me to believe that it was a black head however it just doesnt make sense.  I dont know if i have clogged pores around my mouth or what but I just want to try to figure out what exactly this may be.
It can be a boil or an infected hair follicle. Boils are caused by infection of the hair follicle by staph aureus. Bacterial skin infections can be spread by shared cosmetics or washcloths, close human contact, or by contact with pus from a boil or carbuncle.

Apply warm compresses on the bump and keep the area clean. Also use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or neomycin containing ointment are also useful. But make sure to consult your dermatologist before using them. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. Treatment can be started only when the diagnosis is confirmed. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.