Small blisters on fingers

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Small blisters on fingers

For the last couple of years I have been getting small clear blisters on my fingers, usually on my thumb, forefinger, and little fingers, on both of my hands.  It is spring now and the weather has just gotten warm and the sun is shining brighter now, but spring also marks the beginning of my blisters.  I have the blisters from spring until mid-fall and then they are gone throughout the whole winter.  Again they are clear blisters that form in tightly packed groups, and without touching them parts of the group will go away leaving an area of new skin and a clear line where the old skin and the blisters are.  The blisters seem to come and go in the same area, rotating between new blemish free skin and old skin with blisters.  They do not itch and so far have not spread beyond the backs of the fingers i have mentioned.  I think that these blisters are caused by exposure to the sun, and I should ad that I live in the northern part of the US and I do not actively sun bathe.  I just want to be sure that these are symptoms of something more serious.  Thank you for your help.
Tags: blisters
Avatar_dr_f_tn

I do not think this is something serious. Just let me clarify that these blisters cluster together and that they contain fluid inside them (is this correct?).

Differentials for this will be a herpetic whitlow, a dishydrosis or pompholyx and dishydrotic eczema. The eczema may present with itchiness and the area and may be excoriated and weeping. As for the herpetic whitlow, this is due to infection of herpes simples virus type 1. Have you any exposure with anybody who has herpes infections?
Dishydrosis may present as clusters of vesicles containing clear fluid. These vesicles have a thick covering and they may be difficult to rupture.

An allergic reaction and contact or irritant dermatitis are also likely given that you have noted the blisters to come and go and it appears that weather or certain environmental factors trigger their occurrence.

Have you had  a consult done with a dermatologist for this?

Thank you for responding.  The blisters do cluster together in tight groups and never get much larger than the diameter of a dime, they also are filled with fluid.  I am quite sure I have had no contact with anyone who has herpes infections, at least no contact that I am remotely aware of.  The blisters don't rupture easily, in fact they never really rupture at all unless I force them, they usually just dissipate on their own.  I haven't consulted a dermatologist since I haven't experienced any symptoms more serious.