Small blood red spots on skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Small blood red spots on skin

Today I noticed a number of small isolated blood red coloured spots, averaging about the size of a pin head, on my skin.  One on my chest, another near the navel and a couple of smaller ones on my left bicep.  I don't suffer from acne and occasionally get spots/zits on my face or neck, but these look lke blood bruises or some such.  Anyone know anything about hem?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

What other symptoms are present? Petechiae are round, pinpoint-sized hemorrhages of small capillaries in the skin or mucous membranes. Petechiae result from tiny areas of superficial bleeding into the skin. The common causes of petechiae include local injury and trauma, allergic reactions, autoimmune diseases, viral infections that impair blood coagulation, an abnormally high platelet level, certain medical treatments and diseases..Treatment is directed at the underlying cause of the petechiae. On the other hand, purpura are larger areas of bleeding into the skin that begin as red areas that become purple and later brownish-yellow. Purpura usually appears in crops and may disappear over three to five days.
(http://skin-care.health-cares.net/petechiae-purpura.php)

If this condition persists or fever is also present, it is best to see your doctor for proper evaluation and management. Take care and keep us posted.
Petechiae are pinpoint-sized red dots under the surface of the skin. The dots are red because they contain blood that has leaked from tiny blood vessels (capillaries) into the skin. Petechiae may be an indication of a serious underlying problem that requires medical evaluation.

A common cause of petechiae is a low platelet count (thrombocytopenia). Platelets are blood cells that play an important role in blood clotting. Causes of a low platelet count include:
Autoimmune disorders, such as lupus or rheumatoid arthritis
Viral infections, such as mononucleosis and measles (rubella)
Medications, infections, blood disorders etc.

You need to get a few blood tests done to rule out any of these conditions. Apart from this the only explanation could be injury which could have caused this.

ref:http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/petechiae/HQ01208
i had blood work done to rule out Petechiae and Purpura, but my Dr. said everything looked ok and that, that just may be the way my skin is. should i get a second opinion? i've never had this problem until this year. what do you recommend.
I have Petechiae all over my body. It appears worse to me, but when I asked the Dr he said it was nothing. I do have arthritis and fibromyalgia, but now I appear to be getting larger ones. What type of doctor should I see now?
You need to see a vetenarian. They specialize in this kind of medicine. You have probably been sleeping with your dog. The vet can give you a medicine to keep you from getting fleas from your dog. The little pinpointed red blood spots are a result of a flea jumping from the dog onto you. When the flea lands on your skin, the tauma is so great it leaves a blood spot.i would suggest taking a flea bath at least twice a week.
Trolololololollllll
Dr. Aparna

Are you in USA? And what is your field of specialty? I have a strange issue on my face surface, and I have it for the past almost 2 or 3 months. My skin has always been the clearest and fairest, but it's the first time I am suffering from this and it really bothers me a lot. I am 31 years old. I have these pink, round dry things on my one cheek and it's now starting on the other cheek too. It's always dry,, but not so itchy or painful and is just peeling off so I have to keep it moist either through steaming or applying sun block that I know wouldn't harm it greatly. I am really too much worried. the red circles do not have head or white head or anything. And I just noticed that newly there are some small, very tiny red dots (blood kind of) one on my cheek, on on my arm and some 2 on my thigh. Please advise. (hushed_ocean***@****)
What about pinpoint red marks on the skin THAT DO NOT FADE WHEN PRESSED! SOMEONE HELP ME HERE.