Dermatology Expert Forum
Small bump on back

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Small bump on back

Hi doc, my girlfriend recently commented on slight acne on my back when I remembered an occurrence and in discussing this occurrence, got worried. 3 years ago I had a small, firm, pink bump on my upper back.  I thought it was a zit.  I tried to pop it, and it was very difficult to pop.  I didn't get much secretion or “stuff” out; it was dry and bleed –felt hard and waxy - I couldn't tell if it was on or under my skin.  Anyway, my attempted removal was unsuccessful, although I was able to get the "head" of the bump removed by scratching it off.  The result was a small flat, dry, waxy skin spot - generally yellow-brown color.  I thought it was scare tissue from my attempted removal and would disappear.  At least, 6-8 months later I noticed it seemed to be growing, not sure if it was however.  I tried to remove it again by scratching it off, but again, it was stubborn and didn't completely remove.  A couple months later, the flat spot (smaller than a pencil erasor) seemed to be blackened with an irregular pattern.  For the first time, I started thinking it was skin cancer and I freaked out.  I scraped it with a knife.  It seemed waxy.  And the dark spots seemed to be dried blood, as I was literally able to scrap the dark spots off.  While in the process of doing this, I noticed that there was a "beebee" literally stuck on my back – seemed like hard fat or wax.  The  surrounding dime area was raw flesh, not necessarily that deep.  The dark, dried blood-like skin was completely gone.  I took a shower to avoid any infection, and after the shower noticed that the beebee had fallen off from the water pressure.  My skin healed quickly, and I have never seen or felt anything unusual again (on back nor elsewhere). My gf is concerned it was cancer, and it will reoccur, or worse, might have entered my lymphatic system.  It has been almost 22 months since I removed the beebee. What should I do? What could it have been? I'm 30 year old male in excellent health I think.    
See a doctor, Dave.  You probably have a cyst--they're common on the back and look just like what you're describing.  All your self-surgery isn't causing any harm but isn't doing ether your body or your mind much good.   So go and find out and stop worrying.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Thank doc.  Do you suggests I have tests done?  If so, what tests?
Doc, to followup.  Since I haven't had any other lesions in 22 months (since removal of the bump), what benefit would I get by going to a doctor?  Could it have been cancer?  If so, wouldn't it reappear or cause other effects in the past 22 months?