Small bump under skin now gigantic and red.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I had a small lump under my skin near my armpit for about two years that remained the same size - about as big as a pea.  

Three days ago, my girlfriend said it was weird and she wanted to pop it, so she cleaned a needle with alcohol and poked it.  

When she squeezed it, only a small amount of a hard white substance came out, so I told her to leave it alone.  

Now, it has grown to the size of a large gumball and hurts very, very bad.  It almost feels like it's harder to breathe and I can feel internal pain in my chest now.  

In an effort to release some pressure, I squeezed it, but only blood came out and it is now getting very, very big.

Anything to help would be great - I have no health insurance and can't afford any right now.  
It can be due to a small irritated hair follicle or a boil. A boil generally starts as a reddened, tender area. Over time, the area becomes firm and hard. Eventually, the center of the abscess softens and becomes filled with pus. Finally, the pus "forms a head," which can be surgically opened or spontaneously drain out through the surface of the skin.

Keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics and warm compresses. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or neomycin containing ointment are also useful. In case the symptoms persist then oral antibiotics may be needed. Please consult a dermatologist in that case.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers