Dermatology Expert Forum
Small bumps on palm of hands

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Small bumps on palm of hands

Hello, I recently moved to a dry climate and have been having problems with very small (1 mm) fluid filled bumps on the plam of my hands and sometimes the tips of my fingers.  The bumps itch somewhat initially until I open them and a small amount of clear fluid is released.  Then they heal and are fine.  I have had this condition before but never quite to this extent as they are now very common on my palms.  Is this caused by dry skin or a fungus?  How should I treat it?  Thank you!
Welcome to the Dermatology Expert Forum!

Yes, what you described is quite typical for hand eczema. Possible causes are allergens and irritants you get in contact with either professionally (for example: different chemicals in variety of industries, materials used in construction/remodeling business, metals, etc.) or as a part of your personal lifestyle habits (for example cosmetics you use, nickel containing jewelry, etc.).

For best therapeutical approach, you should determine what the cause is first. Patch tests are recommended diagnostic tool for contact sensitivity. Sometimes, contributing factor is fungal infection, and it should be excluded too (KOH preparation and culture).

Main treatment is avoiding causative agents. In acute phase, short-term use of topical corticosteroid creams is recommended. During remissions, it is important to preserve intact skin barrier function by moisturizing skin with one of hypoallergenic hand creams available on market (no perfumes, carefully selected active and other ingredients).

Wishing You Optimal Health,
Dr. Jasmina Jankicevic
Hello! This sounds to me like eczema. I have had eczema for years but only recently has it been on my hands. It is an allergic reaction. Sometimes mine heal and sometimes the skin on my fingers peels making them very sensitive. For this, my doctor recommended a steroidal cream. While it isn't dry skin, one of the keys to eczema is moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! Although I caution you in doing that because it might be the lotion that you are allergic to (as I am...). Years ago I discovered Auqaphor (made by Eucerin) and I LOVE it! It goes everywhere with me. I use it on my lips and face mostly but when my hands are really dry, I will slather them and then cover them with gloves. Hope this helps!

Emily
Thanks for the idea and suggested remedies!  I have been putting a lot more lotion on my hands and that seems to have reduced the number of bumps, although they are still occuring.  I do have sensitive skin so I will see if there is anything I might be having a reaction to and I will get some of the Aquaphor just in case the lotion is the problem.  Thanks again!
Thank you so much for the information!  I will try to discover what is causing the reaction, but so far keeping my hands moisturized has helped.
Since you have sensitive skin, you may want to consider using Aveeno lotion. When my nephew was in ICU for a week after he was born, they used Aveeno on him. I figured if they use it on very weak and mostly premature babies, it must be gentle!

I am allergic to pretty much everything you'd buy in the store (shampoo, conditioner, laundry soap, sunscreen, hair products, etc) so if you need any suggestions, I've used a lot of products in my trial-and-error routine!