Dermatology Expert Forum
Small bumps that itch on the skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Small bumps that itch on the skin

Hi,  I have recently in the last two days noticed myself itching my skin very frequently.  The more I itch in certain areas, little mosquiti like bites form on my skin.  They aren't red or contain pus, but are just raised clear bumps on the skin.  They usually form on my arms, legs, and stomach.  I visited the doctor and he said I am probably having an allergic reaction to something.

I do have seasonal allergies, and am currently experiencing nasal drip, have woken to my eyes being very goopy and closed shut, and have had coughing and sneezing episodes.  I have gotten those certain things before from allergies, but not the itchy skin that then becomes little bumps that itch. The nasal drip has been occuring for at least a month, but the goopy eyes, coughing, and itching just started the last 3 days.   Do you think this is also just an allergic reaction?  

I have also been tanning for the last two weeks and recently bought a new tanning lotion.  But I have used the tanning lotion 4 times before and didn't get itchy skin until just recently.  I also work at a day care and was concerned that this might be scabies, but I don't have red bumps and they aren't present in between my fingers and toes, but are on my forearm and legs.  Please let me know what you think.
I can't really tell from what you've told me.  I don't really see any connection with allergies, so I'm not sure what your doctor had in mind.  You might want to ask.  Of course, you'll want to do something about the goopy eyes in any case, since they sound pretty uncomfortable.

Itch can be anything from dry skin to nerves to scabies, though scabies sounds pretty unlikely.  I say that because the itching of scabies develops gradually over a period of weeks, not just in 2 days.  

I advise you to use on OTC product like Sarna to control the itching, while you arrange to see a skin doctor for specific diagnosis.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
I would like to start by stating that I am in no way a trained physician. What you are describing sounds to me like hives. I got them once after eating crab (Appearantly I'm allergic). If this is what they are, your doctor should be able to suggest something to help them go away. As for the tanning lotion, it usually depends but quite often it can take a few exposiers to something before an allergic reaction occurs. I would suggest not using the lotion for a while and seeing if it helps. Good luck.
I don't mean to worry you, because it's probably nothing serious, but please go see another doctor.

The itchy skin with the little bumps you described, and the coughing, were symptoms of Stage IV Hodgkins lymphoma for me.

My primary care physician totally missed it. It was only after the itching became intolerable and I went to a more experienced doctor (a dermatologist) that I was diagnosed.

Like I said, I don't mean to worry you, but it definitely bears further investigation if it continues for any length of time. Good luck.

I had terrible itching, no matter how much i scrached, until I was bleeding even.  I went two a few different dermotoligists.  they told me i had eczema.  months later, i was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma.  Stage IV A NS.  I suggest you just get a blood test.  I am going through chemo now.  
sorry to scare you, it probably isn't hodgkins, but just incase, the earlier you get it the better.  mine has spread into my bone marrow.

pete
A related discussion, itchy bumps on skin was started.
A related discussion, Skin Bumps/ Humid Weather was started.
A related discussion, itchy bumpy skin was started.