Small hard white hair?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Small hard white hair?

I am referring this post

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Dermatology/White-bulb-in-hair-follicle/show/768252

because the two comments after the doctors reply perfectly describe something my girlfriend has had. It's was small, hard, and clear white. It was a lot like a finger nail material. I found it on her scalp while running my hands through her hair. I was very firm and pokey. It looked like a short white hair but I pulled it with tweezers for her and the base was much larger in width and length than a "hair". It was definitely NOT a follicle. Any info is appreciated.

This discussion is related to White bulb in hair follicle.
This fits my situation as well!  Years ago, my husband found the exact same thing in my scalp.  It was hard & sharp when you ran your fingers over it.  He pulled it out with tweezers and it looked like clear plastic embedded within my scalp (bottom left part of scalp).  I figured it was some weird ingrown hair and never gave it another thought until two weeks ago.  I cupped my hand around the left side of my neck, right under my ear lobe and felt another hard, sharp object.  Husband pulled out another small, thick, clear, and plastic like object.  Yesterday, another was found, in the same spot, the same hole even, because it hadn't completely healed from two weeks ago.  Now, that spot is red, tender, slightly swollen and has a black scab like thing over the hole.  What is this??
Holy crap I thought it was just me, I was nearly convinced I was starting to grow a feather lol. About a month or so ago I felt something poking me on my right side and noticed there was something that looked like a hard sharp piece of fingernail type tissue sticking out of the inside of my upper arm just above my elbow, Ive pulled it out 3 times total, I also had this happen on the side of the bridge of my nose but that only happened one time years ago. This one on my arm is exactly like everyone elses description, like a stiff white hair with a larger base under the skin, after being pulled out it tends to look like there is something tiny tiny black in the healing hole that it left, so very strange, it freaked my daughter out when I showed her, she told me to get out of her room cause that was gross, lmao
I have had exactly the same thing. It is as though a fingernail is growing from a follicle instead of a hair. I've had this on my eyebrow and on my side. They are very hard and scratchy and quite painful until tweezed out. I'm waiting to see if another grows so that I can take it to my doctor. I was too disgusted to keep the other two!
I have the same issue, once or sometimes twice a month I get a really sharp, hard white thing sticking out of my face sometimes on my cheek, other times near my nose.   They're like splinters and can easily be pulled out with tweezers. They are clear and about and I guess similar to a small grain of rice. I have no idea what they are, they don't irritate me particularly and you can't see them but they can feel sharp so guess better out than left there. I wonder if it has anything to do with the feathers in my pillows or duvets that people use??
I don't use down pillows or have anything with feathers in it, so in my case, it can't be anything like that.  I found this website again, because I just ran my hands through my hair this morning and found another one, in the exact same spot on the lower left of my scalp.  This is so strange!
What are these things! My daughter just removed one from her scalp. I'm taking it to our Dr.s office.
Please let us know what your doctor says?  My husband pulled mine out yesterday and said that what looked like a blackhead came out behind it.  (Sorry for the gross TMI!)
I am curious as to what your Dr. said.  I have had these for years mostly on my back.  I have never had acne and I think that the Dr. that a year ago mentioned this was an OCD issue is very wrong.  Something is growing that is like a splinter/feather follicle...that dear Dr. is not OCD.  I would love to know more about these odd follicles.
I just took my son to the Dr today with this exact same thing and was told that he had a Keratin horn, to be honest I did laugh at the thought of my son growing horns, the Dr assured me that I had nothing to worry about he would be fine. Hope this helps answer your question
Nevermind the keratin horn thing. I searched what that is and sincerely wish I had not done so! ;) Anyway, that does not describe the problem we are discussing here. I have been plucking these weird straw-like white/clear thick hair follicle type things since I was a kid! I get a couple every month. They do not bother me until I run my finger over one and notice this rough, thick hair like ting sticking out of my skin. I usually pluck it with tweezers or just my nails sometimes. I pull it out and it's like a very small grain of rice. It is really annoying and weird to me bc I've never seen or heard of this anywhere else! My dad gets them too...  PLEASE can anyone answer what this is so we can think of ways to prevent them? They are very annoying!
Dermatologists, anyone?? Does this sound like the hair follicle itself is being pushed out? I am usually very good at researching to figure these things out, but I am still stumped.
I am reading all these comments and googled "Keratin Horn" as a previous person had said their doctor diagnosed her son with it, but said he would be fine.Well, the more and more I read on it the more and more I am getting worried because there is a possibility that it could be cancerous. I just pulled it out with tweezers, so I am going to keep an eye on it for the next couple days and if something looks weird I will definitely go to the doctor.
The research I read said it occurs in areas frequently exposed to sunlight. I had mine on my back side and I am thinking "What the heck?" because my back never gets sunlight, but then I did just come back from Hawaii so I am guessing that's how it started...
I'm pretty worried, though but I'll keep all of you updated if you guys are on the same page as me.
I found this after researching infectious diseases due to my own bought with recent medical issues pointing to yeast related illness (IE: External Rash, Swollen/Painful Spleen, Higher than normal GRAN# white blood cell test result....slew of other symptoms...)

http://www.keratin.com/aq/aq005.shtml

The terms are "black piedra and white piedra" and though I have just stumbled upon it and have not really read about it extensively I figured I could leave a post regardless... it could always help someone I'm sure.
Look up morgellons disease.
Did you find anything else out? I did the exact same thing- looked up keratin horn and I couldn't sleep last night. I had a small fingernail like strand growing out of my scalp- very small almost missed it when running my hand through my hair. I couldn't see the base, because it was on the top of my head but it doesn't hurt at all- just very weird. I've never had this before or heard of it, but after doing research it is scary to see that it could be canercous... or i could turn into a tree! Im 23, white healthy female. Any help would be appreciated!
did anyone ever get a follow up to what this might be? It happened to me just yesterday on the back of my shoulder and I was wondering if someone found out what it was.
I just started getting these little grains of rice on my side and it's really gross. they come in small patches of about six or seven and I get my husband to tweeze them.  they are not sore or itchy.  the Internet is no help and I feel stupid going to the doctor for something that is not bothering me, just grossing me out.  anyone figure it out yet?

this sounds like something i may have... but i found one on my side and pulled it out. any help would be appreciated.
My 6 year old daughter has one that keeps growing under her eye, does anyone know what it is?
I have felt this in my head for a long time now. everytime i shave my head it's gone. but then it grows back. finally tonight i had my wife tweeze it out for me and it looks like a plastic white hair. first thing i thought of is it's fingernail material. there's gotta be someone out there that knows what this is. if anyone ever finds out, please post it!
I got a couple of these a few years ago in college.  I felt them when i'd wash my hair in the shower.  After a few weeks of thinking I was crazy I did some surgery and cut them out of my scalp.  They were really in there and bleed when i took them out.   They were like very small horns.  White and conical shaped and only a few millimeters long. Funny thing was that they were located right where they should be if you were the devil.    But they were wide like a bunch of hair growing together.  My guess is that a hair follicle goes a little haywire and over produces or maybe gets clogged or infected so it grows faster than it should and wider than it should.   Now I just tell people I'm the devil in disguise.   They haven't come back.  
I just found one tonight. I was tubing in a river all day and I thought it was a bug but I have no idea what it is. I saved it and have a doctor appointment on Wed. I'll return with some info...
Has anyone found out what this is yet? this is the only forum that had a description on what I have. It's defiantly not that karatin horn thing.  
Hello, I went to the doc. about a week ago and its a hair follicle that has surfaced. It is nothing to worry about. I plucked mine out and put it in a ziplock and brought it straight to the doctors! I have been parting my hair in the same direction for years and by me pulling and brushing so much it forced this follicle (that never had the chance to grow a hair) to the top of my head! I hope this helps.
Let me just add...it's always a great idea to consult a doctor though! I may have not had the same thing as some of you, better to be safe than sorry! :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_piedra

Perhaps this might help?
http://cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2012/08/09/dnt-fingernails-grown-hair-follicle.wmc.html
I pulled one out today as well. I am a healthy 24 year old male who just noticed it on the very top of my head about a couple of weeks ago. I finally tweezed it out thanks to the advice here and got pretty much the same thing, a small hard white piece with a black bottom. Honestly about 4 weeks ago I dyed my hair about 3 times in a matter of three days and just attributed this hard pokey hair to that. I noticed that a bunch of the hair around my weird pokey thing was really dead feeling. Do you guys thing this could have been the cause, just burning the heck out of my scalp, damaging a follicle and causing one of these?
Not to scare any of you but have you considered or ran across a skin condition referred to as Morgellons? You are all describing a single symptom of many involved in this condition. Check out these sites:

www.morgellonsfocusonhealth.com
www.morgellons-research.org
I know EXACTLY what you all are talking about! (You're not crazy, you're not alone, you're not growing a horn, it's probably not cancer or some other weird disease people are pointing, but if you think any of these things might the case, (example, if you can't stop pulling "weird" hairs out) do go see a doctor.)

To help, here's a photo, with a bit of my fingertip for scale. See? It's real. http://www.medhelp.org/user_photos/show/297557

They are clear white and look like fingernail material with a black root. They don't hurt, in fact, I don't even know I have one until my hand brushes against it. It feels like a brush bristle coming out of my skin and I hate that, so I tweeze them out (or get some brave roommate or boyfriend to do it.)

Other than wanting them out, I don't stress about them. If it gets to the point where they happen more than rarely, I'll see a doctor. Until then, I think it's just a little hard karatin. Keep the tweezers handy.

It's worth mentioning that only the very tip sticks out. About a third of the white part and all of the black is under the surface. Also, this is blown up super huge. These things are really tiny. If I'd thought about it, I might have shown a normal hair for comparison. Oh well.
My husband pulled something similar out of my head last night with tweezers. I had a painful spot on my head that was swollen. I asked him to look at it and he pulled out a semi hard white thing. It was wider than hair and had a white coating to it he said that pus and clear fluid with a little blood came out after he pulled it out. I was able to pull it apart fairly easily. This morning the swollen spot is significantly smaller but is still there and red. I looked up Keratin Horn as someone posted about and now I'm freaked out. Mine was long and skinny and was white with a little brown towards the end. Any suggestions
It was a trapped hair follicle. The black part is the "plug" .  Sometimes, they will keep coming out depending on how long you have had it.  I had a bad case of SD Sebhorric Dermatitis, which is little bumps I get mostly in the winter on my thighs, upper arms, etc. I think it got infected and turned into folliculitis during a very humid last summer.  This winter I have been using a 12% Lactic Acid cream that is like an AHA and exfoliates the skin. Since using, bumps are appearing from where the problems were (I'm assuming) and black, brown, or brownish red seed like or rice like looking things come out. I think it's not a bad case since it was just last year. I read of people who had problems for years and they are pulling out lengths of something with black balls attached to them. I believe it's a build up from the under the skin of sebum. keratin, dead skin, etc. in a trapped follicle.
Omg I had the exact same thing!! I had a red bump on my side as if a cat stuck a claw in me and didn't think much of it, I noticed this a few days ago thinking it would go away and tonight I just squeezed it a little and a white coarse object like a piece of finger nail or plastic came out of it if anyone has any answers to what this may be please share!!
you guys have nothing to worry about i asked my mum and she said it was a pimple, i put some pimple cream on it and since that its going smaller and smaller trust me there's nothing to worry about
I consider myself a very smart and objective woman.. but 1 month ago I developed a sore on my arm..notice I say A sore.  Watched it.. seemed to have very thick covering,, like odd skin over growth.  Within the same time frame I felt something sharp in the roof of my mouth. Both arm and mouth issues seemed to progress and grow at same time.

It is now close to four weeks later.. sore on arm itches rather frequently, thick white area covering the sore on my arm. I I leave it alone most all the time,,, but this evening I could not help myself,, I used tweezers and pulled odd growth from the are.  

In the meanwhile yesterday The "splinter I felt in the roof of my tongue has now traversed through the top of my mouth, and emerged back side of mouth.. feels like a piece of sharp bone.

Nothing hurts, but I do seem to be excessively tired..no energy at all. I work in the marine industry around boats.. could this be accumulation of fiberglass fragments?? Thank you for your answer,, Carolyn
Hello all.

I believe "HorribleThings" may be on to something. I've watched a few documentaries on Morgellons Disease...I don't want to say much but I recommend you try watching or reading up on it...

I have been finding more and more "Plastic Wire Hairs" sticking out of my legs and face this year than any other before.

You all seem to effected by the sun but I am thinking it could be a positive effect of natural sunlight. It could be drawing it out of the skin so we can remove it. Just something to think about!
This is so weird  to see how accurately this describes my condition, i just discovered this thing in my hair, (head) last night. Iam soo glad Iam not crazy!!! It is like fingernail tissue  but softer, it snapped when i examined the removed object and pressed it against the table glass with my thumb nail,  I have no answers but my best guess is , with all the GMO foods out there (that are almost unavoidable) its some weird side effect. Iam just going to pray about it ,am not going to worry about it at this point, but for the people who are experiencing redness ,swollen itchyness , seeking a Dr. is sound advise.
So funny !!! A feather , i love that !!!
Hello EVeryone,
Wow- me to. For many years now. I started on scalp, my entire body is now involved. The hard things range in size from a piece of rice to a kernal of popcorn. Bigger ones tend to be on hips. Calfs of legs.  I am always tired.
Last  year I lost 30 pounds without trying to. Dropping to a unhealthy 115 for my build. I have devolped carpel tunnal and nueropthy. I have patches of very hard skin. I am now under the care of 3 doctors. They can't figure it out. My pc thought it was a staph infection that had colonized. But no response to treatment and to me it does not match up.
My dermatoloigist did a biopsy. They biopsy showed very inflamed skin and skin quote' covered in bacteria'. He has started me on steriods' oral and cream and an antibiotic for at least several months. However the lab was not able to idenify the bacteria. So do go to your doctors.
Ps. Still not sure if all of my symptoms are related, but I forgot to tell you that, I am loosing sensation in the areas affected by this. Also all bloodwork is normal. I have had kidney stones and 2 large cysts removed from thighs.
I am 18 years old and I have one of these mysterious hairs on my left cheek.
It started off looking like a pimple and then noticed a very hard, sharp, white hair like thing growing out of it. I pull it out with tweezers once a month and its probably about an inch long.
I started thinking I was turning into a cat because I was growing whiskers!
When the hair is not present, where it grows looks like a pimple that has been popped and its just the scar. It grows out that same place every month.
I am taking one sample to the dermatologist on Thursday when they do a full body check for skin cancer.  Mine just started appearing late last summer, early fall.  I'll let you know what I find out
Sorry to say it is definitely Morgellons! It made me literally sick when I researched the same symptoms, many different times hoping to find something else it could be only to have all symptoms pointing to Morgellons. I'm worried what it may be doing to my 3yo little boy and myself. I continued to look it up only to discover Chemtrails! Do a search yourself..  type in: Morgellons and Chemtrails. You will be shocked at all the results/info you get. At this point I continue taking him to Dr's praying one may have the answer. Until we find one that does I will continue to Pray! God Bless Everyone
youuuu all should stop self diagnosing…… You will make yourself sick with worry. Go to a Dr. Each case is unique and individual, so some people who do go to the dr and say they will bring back info, well yes it could be the same thing, HOWEVER. it could be totally different. Best thing to do is go to the dr yourself.
Came looking for answers, found lots of scared and confused individuals. The topic described is not morgellons. Morgellons is a disease which is a psychological in nature, if you can quantitatively measure and observe these modified hairs, then it is not morgellons. These clear/white hairs that are slightly larger in diameter are probably not "Keratin horns" (Cutaneous horn), which are a result of skin lesions. Probabilistically, they are viral, fungal, or due to an infected/irritated hair follicle. If you are concerned, see a doctor; however, I do not think this is an issue to be concerned about (I'm not a physician, though I am an aspiring medical student, and son of two physicians).