Small mole on inside of buttocks

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Small mole on inside of buttocks

I have a small mole on the inside of my left butt cheek...its rather small and has been there for a few years..I am 51 yrs old,,,it has been irratated lately and starts to sting sometimes when I am sitting down..its hard to see because of the location..but appears to be brown in color...should I be concerned?

There are a few possibilities here as to what this could be. Pilonidal sinus, melanoma, secondary bacterial infection are some of the conditions that come to my mind.

Pilonidal sinus is due to accumulation of pus and bacterial infected elements inside the central part of the natal cleft in a hair follicle.

Melanoma is also the development of cancer on an existing mole as you have described in your post.

Do you have any pain, irritation. bleeding, fever or any other medical conditions that may be linked to this condition?

I think you should be concerned and you should get back to you doctor and get this reviewed. Keep me posted and let me know if you may need any more information
There is no bleeding..no  fever.. sometimes it stings if I mess with it, or sometimes when im sitting for a long period when it rubs on my clothes..it is very small, no history of melanoma anywhere in my family..As I said this mole has been here for  years, at first I thought it was a small boil. Never bothered me at all until recently