Small painful whitehead on lip

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Small painful whitehead on lip

Hello.  I am wondering what this is.  I regularly get a small painful whitehead on my lips.  I can feel them coming on, like a tingling in my lip, and then a very painful whitehead appears that feels like it is holding a lot of pressure that needs to be released.  It is just one spot and not blistery like a cold sore.

I do get cold sores inside my nose and take Valtrex because they happen so often.  Because I take Valtrex on a daily basis which prevents my nose breakouts, I do not think this is herpes.

I do not think it is Fordyce's condition either because it is a) painful b) one central pimple looking thing.

Any suggestions as to what it might be? How to prevent? How to treat?

My current method is to release the pressure by lancing it with a sterilized needle and then applying rubbing alcohol followed by either an antibiotic ointment or a thick vitamin E oil.
It looks like an infected hair follicle or a boil. Keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or neomycin containing ointment are also useful. In case the symptoms persist then oral antibiotics may be needed. Please consult a dermatologist in that case.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Also, the whitehead always appears on the edge of my upper lip.
It could just be a pore that's simply prone to becoming clogged and inflammed.