Dermatology Expert Forum
Small pimple-like bumps at corners of mouth

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Help! I have seen two dermatologists about small, pimple-like bumps at the corners of my mouth. They are not clustered and are almost always there because outbreaks occur shortly after they go away. It's usually just one bump and often can have a whitehead. I initially thought it was acne, but it didn't respond at all to acne medication. I get somewhat of a burning,stinging sensation when an outbraek occurs. They ;last about a week or so. I have been treated for POD with tetracyclen and using a mild cortisone cream to no avail. I use an oatmeal shave cream and very little moisturizer. It's not a major problem, but very frustrating. In fact, I think iyt's frustrating my doc wo last said.."maybe it will just burn itself out"! This has been happening for about two years. Help!
I don't know what these are either.  They don't sound like acne or cold sores.  I think you're doctor's comment is not so far off base.  If something has no significance and doesn't respond to reasonable attempts to control it, maybe it's best to just ignore it.  Such anomalies often indeed do go away on their own.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I occassionally have experienced something like you described, usually seems to occur after eating salty snacks.  I find that Abrevia tames it down and keeps it from cracking so it can heal.  Since I get cold sores, I always figured it was somehow related.  Hope this helps.
Thank you. I think you may be on to something with the salty snacks. Abreva is for cold sores, but you say this works for you?
I was hoping the doctor could give me some more ideas on a diagnosis. While the problem is not so serious, it is chronic. This is not acne, cold sores, or perioral dermatitis. It is localized to an area of about 1/2 inch diameter around the corners of my mouth(bumps are about 1-2mm) sometimes the bumps appear to be deper under the skin, and never get a "whithead", but take a long time to go away. I was also wondering if there are outbreaks around problems ares, like shaving cuts, or even the small gland areas in the corner of the mouth. I have considered diet, but I can only figure that the area is sensitive to the salty/spicy stuff.

Have you been tested for anything to rule things out?

Thanks for your input!
I have the same problem, however, my bumps are accompanied w/dark pigmentation! I have yet to find a product that gets rid of my bumps or dark corners of my mouth. If you find something that gets rid of the bumps please post the product and if I find a product to get rid of the bumps I'll post the info.  Good luck!