Small red blood spots on lower legs

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Small red blood spots on lower legs

I've had these small red blood spots appearing on both my lower legs for the past 3 years. It started from the ankles and slowly started spreading upwards to the knees. I've also done all the blood tests, consulted many dermatologists, did acupuncture, drank both chinese and western medicines and still no answers.  I'm very frustrated.  I never had any allergies all my life and not sure what is causing this.  It is not itchy or lumpy and these small red blood sports appear in mini circles on the legs. These circles will turn to brown spots after a while and then the new spots will appear. It looks like its appearing beneath the skin on both legs. Would anyone be able to advise what other tests I should undertake or am I lacking in something - vitamin C, D?  thanks so much.
These small blood spots can be petchiae or purpuric spots. It can also be due to capillaritis which is characterized by leakage of red blood cells from small, superficial blood vessels that results in pinpoint-like hemorrhages (petechiae). The most common location for capillaritis is the leg, though it may manifest on the trunk and upper extremities.

I suggest you to discuss this possibility with a dermatologist and also get an evaluation done from a hematologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Hello

Thank you for the answer.  I had suspected that to be the case, but I will consult my doctor and see what she says.  Will also keep you posted.  Thank you.
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers