Small red bumps on palm and inside of fingers?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I'm not sure what topic I would put this under since I don't know what it is...

But I woke up with a small, hard, red bump on the inside of my middle finger in the crease of where a knuckle is. Then I noticed one on my thumb between my knuckle and the joint that connects my thumb to my finger (also on the inside). They don't itch at all. They just burn and hurt when I close my fingers up or are touched at all really.

I went back to sleep for awhile and when I woke up again, I seemed to have more. Now in the crease of my pinky nearest the joint in my hand and on my ring finger between the knuckle and joint like my thumb. Again, I went back to sleep. These were all on my left hand.

When I woke up this last time, I have two more bumps, this time on my right hand. These are on my palm though, not my fingers.

I was just wondering what this is? I read a lot of posts on the forum about these and one of the possible diagnoses was  herpetic whitlow. I looked up pictures just to see what it looked like because I've never heard of it, and maybe google only shows extreme cases, but it looks NOTHING like that.

On a continued google search I found a picture that it looks something more like what I have. This person has a lot more bumps than I do, but mine are about the same size of one of theirs. I only have the bumps I listed, and they're not in clusters. You can't tell they're a bump until you actually run your finger of them. They just look like small red dots.They are few (only a total of 6), but they still hurt, seem to be spreading, and I want to know what they are and what I can do for them. Please someone help me out? Thanks. The picture link is below.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb101/MiraclesHappenGR/Thanksgiving07091.jpg?t=1242012260
These do not look like herpetic whitlow which presents as a painful itchy bump. It can be an allergic reaction or a viral rash like hands, foot and mouth disease which is causing such sudden appearance and spread of the small red bumps.

You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. You can take some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps.

For mild-moderate symptoms a weak steroid may be used, whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid. But they are available under prescription and should be taken only after consulting a dermatologist. Symptoms can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin.

If the symptoms persist then get an evaluation done from a dermatologist.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. Treatment can be started only when the diagnosis is confirmed. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

The total of 6 has now gone up to 14. 8 on my left hand, 6 on my right. I tried putting hyrdocortisone cream on them, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Any ideas?

I'm going to take a guess and see it's hands-foot-and-mouth disease? They look more like blisters now (or at least the ones that hurt the most). They're now on my feet and a few in my mouth that hurt extremely bad. I also have a few on the back of my thighs and under my breasts along my bra line.

I know since you said it's viral that it just has to work out of my system. When I looked it up to see what this is, it said it's very contagious? Should I take off from work until this clears up?
Hands, foot and mouth disease is highly contagious and is caused by Coxsackie’s virus. Symptoms of fever, poor appetite and sore throat can appear three to five days after exposure. A blister-like rash on the hands, feet and in the mouth usually develops one to two days after the initial symptoms.

There is no specific treatment. Treatment is aimed at fever control and maintaining good oral hydration. Take adequate fluids throughout the day and acetaminophen if there is any fever.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

That's just it though. This rash was my initial symptom. They started popping up out of nowhere. I didn't feel sick. I have a fever now, but it's after the bumps. I have a really large sore on my tongue now that is extremely painful, but my appetite isn't poor. I just can't eat with this thing on my tongue because it hurts too much.

The rash is on my hands, feet, in my mouth, the back of my thighs, and across my chest. Would this present in the additional two areas?
Well, I went to the doctor because my tongue started swelling up some due to the sore on it and they diagnosed me with the same thing. They gave me a doctor's note to release me from work and school for the next three days. I'm hoping it will be over by then. The sore on my tongue is making my diet all liquids now because it hurts too much to eat anything. The bumps on my hands barely hurt at all and it looks like most of them have gone down but still show a red spot. Should I take their lack of pain as a good sign?
These blisters on stomach can be due to viral infection only and a viral exanthematous rash may involve any part of body. However get it examined from a dermatologist to confirm whether it is due to hands, foot and mouth disease or due to some other viral infection.
I hope it helps. Take care and regards.