Small red spots on scalp linked to hair loss?
I am a hairstylist and two of my clients have small red dots on their scalps and they both have very thinning hair. I was wondering if there is a link between the thinning hair and the small red dots on their scalps. The red dots are somewhat bright and are not raised or open at all. What could this be?
The symptoms could be due to a condition called Seborrhoeic dermatitis. It is an inflammatory skin disorder affecting the scalp, face, and trunk causing scaly, flaky, itchy, red skin.

The cause of seborrhoeic dermatitis remains unknown, although many factors have been implicated. The widely present yeast, Malassezia furfur  is involved, as well as genetic, environmental, hormonal, and immune-system factors. Side effects to inflammation may include temporary hair loss.

It could also be due to Psoriasis of the scalp. Scalp psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis can be difficult to differentiate. Both are common conditions that affect the scalp. In addition, they share similar symptoms, such as itchy, red, scaly skin and burning /soreness of the scalp.

Treatment is the same for both, which is shampoos containing coal tar, ciclopiroxolamine ketoconazole, selenium sulfide, or zinc pyrithione.

Let us know if you need any other information.

Regards.

For one month now, I have had bites on me, from the head down to legs on occassion. I saw a small six leg bug, on my scalp, I thought maybe lice, or bed bugs. I am very clean, live alone, take care of hygence to the max. Went to MD, dr said I see nothing, gave me a rx for the itch. Then more bugs appeared, and I used shampoos for lice, now three times, sprayed my bed, and everything in my home. I have no dogs or animals, or children. Today upon treatment, I saw a few light brown mites, or whatever they are. Now they make me sick, because I fear I cannot rid myself of them. I had hair extensions put in right before the problem, I also tried on a fur coat, it was old, and I just put it on. Then I had accupuncture, the Dr. put my hair up in a clip of hers. I am afraid I will have to cut my hair, or shave it, if I cnnot get rid of the problem
Thanks for any help
Hi, I have the same symptoms. But I only saw one bug a few months ago. I have never seen another but have new "bites" every day. I itch all over every day, especially where there is hair.

I am very clean and frustrated at this point. I've been to two dermatologists who told me there's nothing wrong with me.

Have you had any luck with solving your issues?
Could be Morgellons, especially if you start to feel crawling and biting sensations as well as itching.