Small white bumps in mouth and lips.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Small white bumps in mouth and lips.

Hi. About four weeks ago my husband started developing spots like this on his upper lip and all over the inside of his mouth starting in the back on his gums between the upper and lower jaws at the corners and then it spread rapidly (over a few days) across the mucosa on his upper inner lip. We watched closely and decided to stop kissing once we noticed how fast it was developing. Over night the bumps appeared on his lower lip. We tried all matters of salt water swishes, crest mouthwash, brushing and flossing. We've only kissed on the cheek now for the last few weeks usually on the right cheeks. Four days ago I noticed that I now have them too on my upper lip. They started out mostly on the right side and spread to the other side and are continuing to multiply. I didn't have them when he developed his. We checked thoroughly. Mine are fewer and I only have one noticeable dot on my lower lip now. I don't have it on the inside of my mouth and have been careful not to lick my lips. I've been applying Tea Tree oil to the lips and they are still there and seem to be multiplying in number slowly by the day but are less noticeable since I used the Tea tree oil. My husband on the other hand has been seen by a doctor who thought it was herpes even though it doesn't hurt or itch and there are no red rings around the borders. His blood test for herpes virus even showed that there were no antibodies for herpes. That doctor was clueless. Today he was seen by another doctor who "pulled about ten other doctors over to check it out" and none of them knew what it was. They told him to use Listerine for a week and to come back after if they are still present and spreading. He has also had a recurrence of canker sores (at breaks in the skin - he bites his mouth a lot when chewing) which do not heal unless large amounts of salt are applied several times (salt water swishes were not powerful enough). That has been happening for the last five months and we wondered if it were related to whatever organism is causing the spread of these supposedly benign on noncontiguous Fordyce-like spots. I've searched for hours on the web and this site is the closest to describing what it is yet it seems to be contagious by contact. These do not look like warts either. They really fit the describing Fordyce spots. So I was trying to figure out what they are and if they are treatable.