Dermatology Community
Smelly, itchy moist scrotum area
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
Blank Blank

Smelly, itchy moist scrotum area

Hi there,

Been having the following symptoms :

a) A very itchy scrotum for almost 1 yr now. It gets intense usually at night. Fungai creams seem to make the itchiness more intense.

b) Recently, a smell comes off from the area. Usually worse in airconditioning, carpeted areas. It has the ability to reek the room.

c) Physical examination of the area shows a reddish dark scrotum. at the bottom of the penis shaft where the testicles meet, is red as well, is especially itchy. can see signs of fungal infection around the bottom of the shaft.

d) Been to quite a few doctors thus far, and getting mixed results, some diagnoised me of fungus, some of eczema.
No sexual contact, tested for diabeties and uti. All negative.

Been on the following medication but none seems to be helping.

Fungus treatment - cristian cream, candacort, zarin creams, Atarax tablets.
Eczema rash - hydrocoritsone cream, allemn, dexamethane tablets

Have also been using home remedies such as taking heavy dostages of garlic pills, application of tea tree oil on affected area, refraining from taking sugar, seafood and coffee.

Recently after application of tea tree oil for about a week, the fungus seems to be dying as the patch is getting smaller. However, scrotum is still red and itchy. skin along lower penis shaft area itches a little and is painful to touch. Smell is still strong from there despite of washing with antibacterial soap. Scrotum is often red, moist and slighty sticky. Have tried putting talc powder, but ends up skin peeling off scrotum and tip of penis.  

The smell is the biggest issue here, anyone can shed some light to this ?  

Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
I cannot confirm anything without examnation but it can be intertrigo,heat rash or contact dermatitis. An intertrigo is an inflammation (rash) of the body folds.It most commonly occurs due to bacterial,viral or fungal infection. An intertrigo usually appears red and raw-looking, and may also itch, ooze, and be sore.

Pls keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove.Avoid any kind of cosmetics.Topical zinc oxide cream like Sudocrem, Desitin are very helpful(apply with a paper towel and not directly with hands).Application of mild steroid cream like dermacort also helps.For the itching pls take some over the counter antihistaminic like benadryl or Claritin.In case the symptoms persist then antifungals may be needed.Pls consult a dermatologist in that case.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted in case you have any additional doubts.Kind regards.

Hello Dr.

I am 30 years of age, I live a very healthy and hygienic lifestyle but I have a similar problem along within a few genital warts coming around my genital area. Please Help. Do I need to visit a Dermatologist or some other physician and can I also consult you regarding the same?
Post a Comment
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dermatology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
TMJ/TMJ The Connection Between Teet...
Jan 27 by Hamidreza Nassery , DMD, FICOI, FAGDBlank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank