Sodium Bicarbonate based Deodorants - Rashes

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I am looking to understand why I am getting a reaction under my armpits to a "natural" deodorant that I just started using, and if there is something I can do (other than stop using the product) to help this along.  See the info below.

I started to use a deodorant called lifestinks that contains the following ingredients: sodium bicarbonate, tea tree oil and lavender or cedarwood oil.. After a few days, my wife and I both developed contact dermatits under our arms. I was told by the owner of the company  that basically it was all of the toxins in my system that was causing the reaction and not the product. I should start to eat raw, etc, etc, etc. All I wanted was deodorant.

I'm interested in some dermatologists viewpoint on this all. The info below does not appear to be based in science, and I am not sure how this companies owners come to the following conclusions.

They stated in their note to me the follwoing:

From the Duggan sisters "I have become more and more convinced of three things. These individuals are either:
   1. Taking pharmaceutical medications that are making their bodies toxic; or they have needed to in the past and those substances are still trapped within the lymph.
   2. They have an active outbreak of candida albicans imbalance (yeast, mold, whatever terminology you like) or have had this in the past and it is rearing its ugly head.
   3. Or, they have parasites and parasites just can’t stand tea tree. Yep, parasites are no longer relegated to the third world. A generation of folks eating highly processed and toxic foods now have stomachs deficient in the hydrochloric acid necessary to kill the parasites we are all exposed to each and every day. "

From a medical standpoint, that does not appear to make sense to me. Any dematologists out there, please give your opinions.  

From the symptoms it can be irritant contact dermatitis to the deos. Irritant dermatitis, the most common type of contact dermatitis, involves inflammation resulting from contact with acids, alkaline materials such as soaps and detergents, cosmetics, or other chemicals.

Avoid using any lotions and creams for the meantime. Wash the area with a mild cleanser with moisturizing properties like Cetaphil. Pat it dry. Then apply a good hypoallergenic moisturizer over the area and see if this improves. If the symptoms still persist then you can apply mild steroid and take antihistaminic like Claritin or Benadryl( may cause drowsiness) for the itching.

If the irritation persists then please get it evaluated from a dermatologist. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thanks Dr Kaur.  I am basically following your advice. I have not given up on the other deodorant yet. I am going back and forth between my old deodorant and this new one.  Everytime the new deodorant starts to irritate me, I lay off of it for a couple of days and it calms down. I am hoping the body will adjust to it. We will see.

Thanks again. I will let you know how this is going in a couple of weeks.

Ive had same reaction to the Duggan Sisters LifeStinks deodorant!!!
I'm curious as to what you did to alleviate the rash and if/why you kept using it. Did your body really finally adjust? Any info would really help as I'm in agony with red, hot, burning, itchy armpits. Thanks
Give up on that crappy deodorant!  If it causes a rash, it is no good for you.  Perhaps you are both allergic to an ingredient, or perhaps it is contaminated.
I have had reactions to deodorants a few times in my life.  My armpits actually got brown scales when I was a teen and tried Mitchums (I tried it because my mother swore it was the only thing that worked for her and she convinced me I had problem perspiration like her.  I don't!)
I actually don't use any deodorant right now and haven't had an issue with odor.  I did like Ban unscented Roll-On and some Avon deodorants I tried (I liked the scent of Sweet Honesty).  My husband has not used deodorant in decades and he never smells!  Now my sons have been using it since their teen years and are now in their twenties and probably still need it.  It depends on the person and the stage of life but my points are (1) some people can get away with not using deodorant and (2) if you need it to be able to work and go out without offending people, use what works for you, even if it's not natural, don't use what gives you a rash.
I agree with kidnurse - stop using the deodorant. Just because a product is "natural" doesn't mean that the ingredients are mild. Plant oils are very potent substances, especially cedarwood and tea tree oils. The deodorant in question might just have too high of a concentration of these oils for your skin type. Try using a natural deodorant that has more mild plant oils or a lower concentration of the irritating types of oils. Lavender is good. Calendula, rose, jasmine, sandalwood, patchouli, neroli, and neem are also calming and good for more sensitive skin. Cedarwood, tea tree, clove, juniper berry, eucalyptus, camphor, cyprus, peppermint, sage, thyme, melissa, and lemon oils can all easily become skin irritants when used on the wrong skin type or in the wrong concentrations/combinations. Aloe can be good, but keep in mind that many people actually have an allergy to aloe - it can cause irritation. Some natural deodorants also have castor oil which some people have a sensitivity to as well.

I have found that the crystalux salt crystal works for me most of the time. I rub it on for twice as many strokes as the instructions say. I try only to wear my regular Dove deodorant when I am going out dancing or I know I'm going to be sweating a lot in a crowd.