Sore bumps on fingers

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Sore bumps on fingers

Two weeks ago (Monday) I got a little red bum on my right index finger right below the nail bed, it was sore to touch, but I did not think it was anything to worry about. Two days later I got another red bump on my right upper knuckle of my pinky, again it was small and tender, but did not worry about it. By Friday the original one was the size of a dime and was really red, the one on my pinky was growing. That Sunday I noticed another one on my left ring finger, in the same area, my upper knuckle. Monday (week later) I decided to go to urgent care because I thought I may just need antibiotics or something. I saw two different doctors who were baffled and ruled out, spider bite, herpes, foot, hand and mouth, allergy reaction, warts, cysts and any other type of infection. They sent me to a dermatologist who was just as confused and said she could not identify anything. She took a biopsy of one and I am still waiting for results, but they are still growing and itch and sting really bad - sometimes burn. Anyone heard or know of what it could be? Thanks
From the symptoms it looks like herpetic whitlow. Herpetic whitlow is a painful viral infection occurring on the fingers or around the fingernails and is caused by infection with the herpes simplex virus (HSV). My sincere advice would be to get it evaluated from a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you so much for your response. That is actually one of the things my dermatologist thought it might have been, but ruled it out after the biopsy. When I went in she diagnosed me with Dyshidrosis and gave me cream and a cortisone shot. She said within two weeks it should heal up. Then she called me two days later, after having a conversation with other doctors and the lab, and they said because I am in pain it does not look like Dyshidrosis. They are now more concerned that I may have Lupus that is causing the lesions. I have given blood and now I am just waiting for those results. The lesions have stopped coming and growing, but they are not getting any better. Hopefully they will rule out Lupus and in the next couple of weeks they will go away. Thank you again for the helpful information, I will post up here in the next few days when I get my results.