Sore gums

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Sore gums

Not sure what the problem is, but a couple of weeks ago i noticed that when i wake up, my lower cheek where it meets the gums on the left side is sore.  Sometimes the top area is sore too.  I thought i was biting it in my sleep, but the area is way below where i can bite.  also, my gums are a bit red and there is a white spot right where it meets the tooth.  I brush, floss, and use mouth wash twice a day.  There is no food stuck there. I even tried rinsing out w/ salt water three times a day, but it didnt seem to work.  The area that is sore seems to have a white layer on top, nothing huge.

throughout the day its ok, not as bad as in the morning.  

Any ideas?

Such sore swollen gums can be due to gingivitis,infections,malnutrition and vitamin C deficiency,pregnancy or sensitivity to toothpaste or mouthwash .

Take vitamin C supplements for some days and change your toothpaste brand and avoid using mouthwashes if your swollen gums are caused by sensitivity to toothpaste or mouthwash.Also have good oral hygiene.

If the symptoms persist then pls consult a dentist and get gingivitis ruled out.
Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted if you have any additional queries.

Hey Doc,

Thanks for the reply.  I do take vitamin C every day.  I'll try getting off moutwash.  As far as gingivitis, if I do have it, how do i treat it?  Is there some over the counter drug I can take, or maybe a home remedy?

Thanks!

Gingivitis can be prevented through regular oral hygiene that includes daily brushing and flossing.You can also rinse your mouth with a saline solution.You can also use anti inflammatory drugs.If the symptoms persist then antibiotics like metronidazole are needed.Pls don’t worry as it is completely treatable.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.Warm regards.
Dr I have a too much swollen gums and its pain alot.Before its red but now its color changes to White.
Iam using mouthwash and occasionally used salt water also for oral used.
Is it OK to used both of them?
Please let me know, Iam in a big trouble.And i have sore throat with fever, i was wondering that my throat got infected due to my Gums and due to sore throat i got fever. Right now iam taking augmentin and panadol for fever.Is it OK to take these tablets? Iam 25 weeks pregnant.
Regarding mouthwash, its ok to used it?
Please help me
My son has these same symtoms (symptoms): Here are Coles symtoms (symptoms): he had a high fever (102.9)for two days, sore throat and swollen glands- fever went down to low grade (99-100.9) for the next three days he also got swollen red gums, blisters on his lips, and loss of appetite- probably because his mouth hurt so much- today is day 6- no fever- gums still red and swollen (dentist said to rinse w salt water), blisters Still evident on lip and tonight right after he brushed his teeth he threw up and had diarreah (diarrhea). The only thing he ate today was soup and some frozen yogurt. I think he may need antibiotics. Something's going on