Sore in Head

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Sore in Head

For over a month now, I have been dealing with a couple of sores in my head.  I just noticed it while washing my hair.  When I was a child I had psoriasis, but I haven't had a flare up in 20 years.  I didnt give it much thought, but two weeks ago they started hurting and the pain unbearable at times.  They are about an inch or two, and deep.  I am putting off going to the doctor because I dont have the money and  I am embarrassed.  Just wondering if you have any suggestions or at home treatment I could do.  Thank you in advance!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello hope you are good.
Painful sores in the head could possibly be due to several conditions. These sores can be caused by viral, bacterial or fungal infections. Acne and clogged hair shafts can cause scalp sores, too. Cysts on the scalp are another cause of scalp sores. In folliculitis there is inflammation of one or several hair follicles on the skin causing red, bumpy and pimple-like lumps.Tinea capitis causes round, red, scaly bumps on the scalp's surface. In psoriasis bumpy patches of skin with soreness may extend beyond the hair line and there are mild to severe thick, crusted plaques accompanying basic symptoms. Wash your hair regularly and avoid damp or sweaty skin. Avoid sharing personal care items such as combs and brushes. Do see a dermatologist for accurate diagnosis. Treatment will depend on the cause. Do keep me posted.
Best luck and take care!
The scalp sores can be due to perifolliculitis scalp. It is characterised by small, very itchy pustules within the scalp, often most troublesome on the frontal hairline. The other possibility is of pilar cysts scalp. The scalp should be washed with a mild normal shampoo as often as desired. Antidandruff shampoos containing antifungal agents such as ketoconazole or ciclopirox are sometimes helpful. Apart from that you need topical and oral antibiotics, antihistamines, oral steroids and topical tretinoin.

My sincere advice is to get it examined from a dermatologist. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.