Sore on Scalp near Nape of Neck

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Sore on Scalp near Nape of Neck

I had an itch on my scalp a few weeks ago and when I went to scratch it there was a bump there just just felt like dry skin. I picked at it a little and a bunch came off but then it started to hurt so I left it alone. It was still there a week later so I asked my boyfriend to look at it and he said it just looked like a pimple and to leave it alone. So I left it alone, but it hung around awhile and got itchy every once in awhile. I didn't think much of it until last night when I reached up to itch it and realized it had gotten bigger. Not just a bigger bump, but the whole thing was longer and is now in the shape of a semi-circle. My boyfriend looked at it and had no clue, it really hurt after he touched it and was really red so he put some polysporin on it and left it alone. It hurt most of the night but that may have been because I was thinking about it and freaking out a little. It didn't hurt this morning, my boyfriend said the redness had gone away. It itched a little today and I touched it a bit. I don't know if it's red anymore but it feels like it's burning. It's probably scaring me more than it should, I think it's the shape of it that's freaking me out.
  • Bottom pimple (2 replies):
    I have a pimple-like thing on my bottom and it is very p...[more]
  • Facial Condition (1 replies):
    I have recently received some hard raised areas on one s...[more]
  • Red Bumps (1 replies):
    I have red bumps on my upper left arm that recently appe...[more]
  • Help (1 replies):
    I have a red itchy sore on my vagina, what could it be? ...[more]
  • curious (1 replies):
    I am 21 years old. for the last 3 weeks i have had these...[more]
From the symptoms it sounds like a boil or infected hair follicle. Boils are caused by infection of the hair follicle by staph aureus. Please keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or neomycin containing ointment are also useful. In case the symptoms persist then oral antibiotics may be needed. Please consult a dermatologist in that case.
I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted in case you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.