Dermatology Expert Forum
Sore on shaft of penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Sore on shaft of penis

I hope you can help.  I've been getting these red spots, that turn to blisters, then to a sore and heal in about 3 to 5 weeks with a scar.  This has happened 4 times in the past year.  There was about 1 week inbetween the last occurance.  When I went to doctor, she gave me a blood test and swabbed the sore.  My tests came back as negative for Herpes. A derma doc said not to worry if those tests came back negative. These are not itchy nor they burn.  I was told that a friction burn could cause those same items.  Does that sound right?  They are clear clusters of blisters that break and leave a wet looking sore that looks as if the skin is sliced off.  They do not crust, just scab ( but after about week of looking wet).  They always occur in about the same area.  Please help..nerves are shot on this one.  Thank you for your time.
This sounds very much like herpes to me.  A negative culture may only mean that the virus was not viable at the time of the test--as the scabs dry up, virus gets harder to grow.

To find out for sure, you will need to see a doctor when the lesions are fresh.  Obviously, you can't schedule that, so you need to get the doctor's cooperation to see you as soon as the blisters reappear, and to have viral culture media ready to use and send to the lab during business hours (leaving the specimen overnight may make the culture less likely to grow.)  Aslo, just looking at the blisters in their fresh state may allow a definitive diagnosis.

Once you know for sure, the doctor can recommend treatment to make healing more rapid or to suppress recurrences.  At that point you can also learn more about what this all means in terms of your life, sexual and otherwise.  The implications are sure to be less threatening than youy may well be thinking at this point.  Lots of people--and I mean lots--have herpes, and life goes on.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff