Sore redness on inside of leg from calf to upper thigh

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Two nights ago I came down with what seemed like a sudden case of the flu. Feeling very cold, skin sore to the touch all over body, no appetite. Yesterday my left leg started to hurt. Today the flu like symptoms are mostly gone but my leg is sore and there is redness from my calf to my upper thigh, its sore to walk and sore to touch. Any thoughts?

Without examination it is very difficult to confirm a diagnosis,but it sounds like cellulitis. Cellulitis is an infection of the deep subcutaneous tissue of the skin.It is characterized by redness, swelling, warmth, and pain or tenderness.

Diagnosed by clinical examination and blood cultures. Cellulitis has to be differentiated from DVT(deep vein thrombosis ) and stasis dermatitis, which is inflammation of the skin from poor blood flow.

I sincerely advise you to consult a physician/dermatologist and discuss these possibilities with him. These symptoms may cause further complications.So clinical examination is definitely required.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.