Sores on my lower left leg.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Sores on my lower left leg.

Hello, I've posted a picture of the condition in my profile. A couple weeks ago had a large reddish bump on my leg which became infected and is still healing. Now I've got a second one forming next to the other one, have never had this before, looks similiar to acne but much larger and more painful. It is quarter sized with a whitish center, has anyone seen this type of condition before, it's kind of odd that two would form next to each other. Thanks in advance.
  • boils and fungus (1 replies):
    My daughter has huge boils forming under her arms and wa...[more]
  • Rash (2 replies):
    I have this terrible rash between my butt cheeks It star...[more]
  • Boils (1 replies):
    I have a raised lump under my breast. It is extremely pa...[more]
  • is it a pimple or herpes? (1 replies):
    Over the past few years i have had a huge pimple type bu...[more]
  • skin boils (1 replies):
    I am getting skin boils on my handa,neck and stomach.it ...[more]
They appear like boils. A boil or a skin abscess is a localized infection deep in the skin.
It is caused by the infection of hair follicles.
A boil generally starts as a reddened, tender area. Over time, the area becomes firm and hard. Eventually, the center of the abscess softens and becomes filled with pus and dead tissue. Finally, the pus "forms a head". This would be the whitish centre that you have described in your post.

Any break in the skin, such as a cut or scrape, can develop into an abscess if it becomes infected with bacteria. Boils are generally caused by Staphylococcus aureus, a strain of bacterium that normally lives on the skin surface. The predisposing factors are immune system disorders, diabetes, poor hygiene or malnutrition (Vitamin A or E deficiency). However, they can occur even in healthy individuals.

Most boils run their course within 4 to 10 days. You can help in resolving them by applying a warm compress. This can help alleviate the pain and hasten draining of the pus. Antibiotics are indicated only if the surrounding area is infected.
Ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boil