Dermatology Expert Forum
Sores on my penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Sores on my penis

Doctor - Last week, I noticed a bump on the shaft of my penis that was smaller than a dime and a bit itchy.  I thought it was an insect bit, but it eventually became a small sore which I treated with Neosporin.  It seemed to go away within a day or two.

I was not very concerned until this morning when I awoke and found a small scab on my foreskin.  I peeled the scab away and found a sore similar to the one from last week.  About a month ago I had protected sex and unprotected oral sex with a woman whom I did not know well.  I do not know her medical history, but I am concerned that I may have contracted Herpes or Syphilis from her.  Another point to note is that both of these sores developed within a day or two of masturbation.

Please let me know what you think this could be.

Thanks.
I can't really tell you without seeing you.  These symptoms don;t sound to me anything like herpes, syphilis, or any other STD.  They sound possibly related to friction or scratching.  Please leave them alone and if they're still there in 7 days, show them to a doctor.

Thanks.

Dr. Rockoff
Have u ever engaged in unprotected sex?  I ask because if it is herpes, you didn't get it from the protected sex incident.  It could be from another exposure that your just now seeing symptoms of. If you never had unprotected sex then it probably isnt an std.
I have had unprotected *oral* sex but intercourse has always been protected.  I've read that STD's can also be contracted through oral sex.

Do the two sores that I have mentioned sound consistent with an STD such as Herpes or Syphilis?

Here are some additional notes about the sores.  

The original bump was slightly raised and pink - it looked very similar to a mosquito bite.  It eventually shrank and went away with Neosporin.

I noticed the second sore about 5 days after the first.  I had developed unnoticed, and this morning there was a small scab on it.  At first, I thought it was something stuck to the foreskin of my penis.  I peeled it off and saw a sore similar to the first one.  It was red and kind of raw, like an abrasion.

There was no pus or anything else.  Both sores were slightly smaller than a dime, and oval-shaped.
I suppose the only realistic std you can aquire would from unprotected oral sex would be ghonnorea and that's not consistant w/your symptoms, nor is it highly probable.  Herpes 1 is a slight possibility as well.  Maybe the doctor will have a better answer for you, but for some reason I don't believe it's herpes.  Syphillis (syphilis) is very rare in straight sex couples, so I wouldnt worry about that.
Usually herpes looks superficial and will sit *on* the skin and not in it.
Those lesions sound atypical for herpes. It's particularly odd that they appeared 5 days apart. Herpes outbreaks always occur at least a month apart, usually 2-3 months.

But if they are herpes, it's unlikely they'd be related to your last exposure. Primary outbreaks are usually more serious and the incubation period for herpes is 21 days maximum, and the onset is usually within the first week or so. So if you do have herpes you probably caught it before that incident.

Anyway the thing to do, if you're worried, is have a blood test. Make sure it is an IgG Glycoprotein based test such as Herpeselect, if you're in the US. Then you cant put your concerns behind you.

Thanks for everyone's assistance so far, but I have a few more questions.  The sores are in the process of healing over and I am pretty sure that they were the result of chafing but I have been reading a lot about herpes on the web and it has gotten me pretty confused and worried.  I am planning on getting tested just to put my mind at ease, but I was wondering about the following items.

1)  Does herpes usually present itself in a single area or in multiple areas?  I had two sores on my testicles (next to each other) and one on the upper shaft of my penis.  

2)  Does herpes always appear in the form of the little bumps that I have seen in pictures?  My sores did not look like that - I had dime size ovals - one looked like a bug bite and the other just seemed to appear one morning with a small layer of skin missing.

3)  How common is it that the first outbreak not have any of the flu-like symptoms?  I've read that most people don't even realize that they have herpes.  Is that true?

Thanks again.  Like I said I'm going to get tested but any feedback will be appreciated!