Sores on scalp that won't go away

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Sores on scalp that won't go away

I've had sores on my scalp off and on for almost 20 years. Lately they have gotten chronic. They are only ever located on the crown toward the back of my scalp and they start as a scaley patch of heavy dandruff about as big around as a pencil eraser. This will itch a little so I scratch it off and there is a sore underneath. The sores come and go but they all come and go together. I will start with 1 or two that are mild, then suddenly will have an outbreak and there will be 7 or eight and they will get very sore, oozey and crusty. This can last a week or a month, then they will subside slowly until they are almost gone and before long the cycle starts all over. I originally thought they were resulting from my having dandruff so I tried all the shampoos and nothing worked for more than a couple months. I now use Nizarol to control the dandruff quite well, but the sores still come back. Even though the dandruff on the other parts of my head is gone, there are still scaley areas on the top and back where the sores happen. I used to think it wasn't contagious because my kids and husband never got it until a little over a year ago my husband got it too. He went to the dermatologist and was told it was folliculitis and given antibiotics which did nothing for it. I read up on folliculitis and I don't think that is what it is, especially since we both have it in the exact same spot on the crown. I've tried salt water, then vinegar rinses. No help. I've also tried various topical OTC antibiotic creams. Nothing. I do notice improvement after I color my hair. The sores sting like heck, but they are greatly improved for a few weeks afterwards.