Dermatology Expert Forum
Spider Veins forming on nose

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Spider Veins forming on nose

I'm a 33-year-old male. Tiny spider veins have gradually been appearing on the bridge and end of my nose over the past few years. I'm sure it's the result of sun damage as I'm fairly light-skinned and have spent lots of time outdoors over the years. Recently they're becoming more prominent, giving my nose a reddish/pinkish appearance.

Last month I visited a dermatologist for the first time. He said it might be the early stages of Rosacea and prescribed me Plexion and Metro-Gel. I used them for one week, but then I realized it was making the spider veins worse. My nose didn't look too bad before I went to the dermatologist, but now it suddenly has more spider veins than ever. My nose has always been very sensitive to products (including certain sunscreens). I've almost decided never to put anything on my nose again because whenever I do, it seems to aggravate the situation. I realize that once these spider veins form, they won't go away and are there for life.

So, here's my question: Just because I have spider veins slowly forming on my nose, does that necessarily mean I have Rosacea? I've read up on Rosacea, and it appears I have only a couple of symptoms. When the weather is hot and humidity is high, my nose will occasionally have a very slight stinging/burning sensation. Also, last spring my nose "broke out" for about a week, turning red with a stinging sensation -- sort of like a sunburn. It lasted a week and then went away. Also, I've heard that stress and also hard exercise can aggravate Rosacea. I recently had lots of stress/anxiety for about six months -- could this have caused more spider veins on my nose? And I also do lots of long, hard hiking/backpacking trips -- could this aggravate the situation?

If I indeed do have Rosacea, I certainly want to control it. But I also don't want to use products that are going to make my nose (and spider veins!) look even worse. Any suggestions regarding my situation? Thanks a lot.
Blood vessels alone don't make for rosacea.  Contrariwise, applying rosacea medicine won't do anything for blood vessels, one way or the other.  (Perhpas the lotions help light be more easily transmitted, making the vessles more prominent; they can't produce new ones.)  If you want to get rid of the vessels, have someone laser them off for you.  It's easy, safe, and you'll probably have a year or more free of them.  Sun protection will help delay formation of new ones.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
1 Comment
A related discussion, spider veins on nose fastest way to remove was started.
A related discussion, spider veins on the nose was started.