Dermatology Expert Forum
Split skin in folds of groin...

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Split skin in folds of groin...
It seems that I have a reoccurance of what is a heat rash or some kind of fungal infection.  I put on some clotrimazole and betamethasone dipropionate cream one night.  The next morning as I was showering, I was washing the area in the folds of the groin and the skin split and bled.  Subsequently, I went to the Dermatologist and he gave me some Desonide nad Leprox.  He thought that the skin was rather thin in the area and that the Clotrimazloe and Beamethasone Cream was too strong.  Other than that, he didn't think there was anything serious going on.

My question is...could this be herpes?  Also, is it normal to get heat rash in winter....although I was in Florida the week prior.  I never ever had heat rashes in my life and now I have gotten two in a period of 8 months.  I never had bleeding before in that area.  I have been applying bacitracin to the skin split.

Should it be kept dry or moist.

--tom
No, not herpes.  The dermatologist is correct that betamethasone is a bit strong for regular groin use.  You can get "heat rash" from chafing even in the winter (and of course you were in Florida.)

The fact that you've had two episodes of a common and not serious condition shouldn't make you anxious.  You've seen the doctor and gotten what sounds like reasonable advice.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
A related discussion, my skin keeps splitting in the groin area was started.