Spongiotic Dermatitis-Causes-Treatment

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Spongiotic Dermatitis-Causes-Treatment

I have been experiencing a rash on the calf of my left leg for about two+ years. The rash starts out with little red spots and then forms tiny blisters which are very itchy.  The rash becomes prominent during the hot summer months but continues throught the year at a lesser intensity.  The rash was treated with Fluocinonide, a topical steriod cream, and was wrapped in plastic wrap during the evening which healed the irritated calf very well.  However, Recently the rash spread to my torso and arms and the itching was relentless.  Prednisone was taken orally and the rash was immediately halted.  A biopsy of a blister was examined by a lab and was diagnosed as "Spongiotic Dermatitis".  
  1.  What is the cause of the rash " Spongiotic Dermatitis" ?
  2.  What can be done to avoid its reoccurance ?
  3.  Suggestions and recommendations that may be helpful for treatment and avoidance of rash

Thank you for your assistance and God Bless you.
Spongiotic Dermatitis Is Nothing But Acute Eczema

Spongiotic dermatitis is another way of referring to a condition known as acute eczema that is usually found affecting the abdomen, chest and even the bottom while the scalp is generally free from this condition. In addition, spongiotic dermatitis can also be contracted at a relatively young age and in babies it takes the form of a diaper rash and as far as gender distribution is concerned, men are thrice as likely to get it as compared to women, and the problem will cause an itching in your skin that can even turn into a rash. The most commonly attributed causes of spongiotic dermatitis is that it occurs due to allergic reactions and it can come about because of an allergy to food, insect bites and even drugs can cause this condition.

Signs Of The Condition

The common signs as well as symptoms of spongiotic dermatitis can be noticed on the patient’s abdomen, chest and even bottom, and the appearance is much like a horrible rash which begins as a red color and which can then becomes darker as the condition grows, and at its worst, it can even appear totally black in color. Also, you should treat your spongiotic dermatitis condition to prevent it from becoming worse; in which case you will notice a raising in the rash and the appearance is quite crusty and there is also oozing as well, and you can best think of spongiotic dermatitis as being a weal with raised edges.

What causes spongiotic dermatitis to occur has yet to be ascertained and the sooner its cause is discovered the easier we can all breathe, though it does help to create a list that holds all the things that you have made contact with in the previous three days. And, in case you have noticed such rashes, the first thing you need to do is get you tested through a biopsy and the doctor will also need to find out your background to see if the problem isn’t by any chance a hereditary one.

After the doctor diagnoses you with spongiotic dermatitis, you will be prescribed a regimen of treatment which may include menthol lotions that can be applied on the rash, or you may require stronger corticosteroid that will provide you with relief from the itching as well as burning skin. Other things you can ingest include vitamin A tablets that need to be taken over a period of twenty-five days, though if you find that you have severe spongiotic dermatitis, you may be prescribed anti-inflammatory medications of which Prednisone is a good option. For those who are pregnant or are nursing, they should inform their doctor to get the appropriate medication prescribed. However, prevention is certainly the best cure and so you should take every precaution to forestall it from affecting you.
My 8 yr old daughter has been diagnosed with spongiotic dermatitis and it is located on the back of her thighs mostly and can get really bad.  I have had her on a lot of lotions and steroid cremes, the cremes work, but I am told that you cannot use the steroid for too long or the skin will become thin and you will be able to see the blood vessels and it is not reversible.  We do not know the cause of the irritation, but I want to know if there is anything else we can try that is strong like the steroid but not as harmful long term?  Once we stop the steroid it seems to get inflamed quickly and then we are back to square one again.  I am also concerned about scarring, she is young and embarassed by this and as summer approaches, there is no hiding it.

Rmom
Sept 2001 diagnosis: Seborrheic keratosis. Microscopic description "Sections are of a skin in which there is a lesion characterized by hyperkeratosis and acanthosis. There are prominent pigmented cells at the dermal epidermal junction.  No nevus cells are identified. There are some small pseudohorn cysts present. The overall appearance is consistent with a seborrheic keratosis. The differential would include lentigo simplex.. No atypia or malignancy is identified." I saw two dermatologist and used various steroid creams and by December 2002 the problem went from the size of a silver dollar to about an inch wide on the ankle.
2002 diagnosis of the same area: "Spongiotic dermatitis with local neutrophilic infiltrates. See comment
Comment: The differential diagnosis include spongiotic dermatitis with secondary impetigenization such as impetigenized allergic contact dermatitis and nummular dermatitis and pustular psoriasis. Clinical correlation is necessary."No dysplasia to suggest Bowen's disease. Negative for fungus,dermatophyte infection cannot be entirely excluded.
Here we are in 2008 and I have been through 5 days of testing at the UCSD hospital for contact dermatitis and zero! The problem now is 2 1/2 inches wide and just about encircles my entire ankle. I have now tried tea tree oil and and ready to go to the acupuncturist for treatment. My three dermatologists are with Scripps in LaJolla and they keep experimenting with creams.
And that is my story and problem, can you advise me where to turn?
I was recently diagnosed with spongiosis dermatitis through a biopsy from an area on my shin.

My condition started as a small red blister which did NOT itch or cause pain...it was just there.  However, over the course of 3 months it grew to the size of a quarter and was very unsightly.

Two months after this biopsy, I now have a small red blister on my other shin with no other symptoms.

Should I still go along with this diagnosis?  Thank you .
I was diagnosed with spongiotic dermatitis after I had to insist on having a biopsy done to confirm what my rash was... Long story short I went to the dermatologist. who happens to practice in a skin surgery and laser office which was my fault for not paying attention when I made the appointment, and she told me that by looking at the rash she could not confirm what it was.  She said she could give me a cream for it!! I'm like how can you give me a cream for something you don't know what it is.  I also told her that a friend of mine thought it might be pityriasis rosea (sp?).  The doctor said she didn't think that it was.  So I asked if there was anything that she could do to confirm... that's when she said we could do a biopsy.  

So a biopsy was performed and two weeks later it noted: spongiotic dermatitis with a special note that said it could also be Pityriasis Rosea!!!

I'm glad I have insurance and wasn't paying a doctor out of my pockets to diagnose myself!

Anyways, i'm hoping that i'm allergic to something and not this PR thing!  From what I researched they still don't know what causes PR!!!

In the meantime, I made an appt. at another doctor's office (someone who specializes in skin diseases).  I hope to have them give me an allergy test to see if I'm allergic to something.

I will keep you guys posted!!

by the way.. the rashes have spreaded all over my arms, torso, and legs!  my beautiful body looks infested!!! :(
I was diagnosed with Spongeotic Dermatitis in February 09. I had experienced the rash-like bumps on my inner thighs, calves and arms. This was sometimes very mild, but got very bad and extremely painful in February. At first, no one could diagnose it: not my Naturopath nor two dermatologists.
I did do a biopsy, which was sent for a second opinion, to finally get the diagnosis.
What has helped me the most is being on a gluten free diet, per my ND. Gluten can cause a lot of inflammation in the body, including the skin. That has helped a lot, but the thing with this form of dermatitis is that the cause is not fully understood. Flare-ups can be triggered by food, contact from self-care products, etc.
Keeping the skin hydrated and mosturized is helpful, too. My dermatologist recommended CeraVe cream, which does help me. Taking Vitamin D, Fish Oil, and changing my diet all have helped a lot. I also use very mild, all-natural skin care products. I have done a lot of experimenting with self-care products and encourage others to find things that work for them.
I hope my experience can help some others out there. I know how frustrating it can be, and wish you well.
I'm a 15 year old girl and I was recently diagnosed with spongionic dermatitis from having a biopsy done. I was put on steriod cream called "Advantan" and it began to heal. I had it on both inner arms and then spread to my left thigh. It was massive on my leg and once it fully heals it will leave a scar.
Heat is extremely bad for the dermatitis and I learnt that covering it up is really bad for it and can cause infections. Limit walking and strenous activities as this increases the chances of infection. Don't wear anything that is tight as this will limit blood flow and become irritating and will begin to produces a pus-like fluid that dries yellow and crispy. Keeping it clean helps it also.. Sooo that's just hat I learnt.. good luck!!

Rebecca
I am a physician.  It is very unlikely that your rash is pityriasis rosea, although this would be a reassuring diagnosis, as the rash resolves on its own after 4 to 8 weeks and leaves no permanent marks on the skin.  No treatment is necessary.  Typically this is a rash of childhood and adolescents.  It has rarely been described in adults.  Typically it can be preceeded by symptoms of sore throat, lymph node swelling and headache, although you can have none of these systemic symptoms as well.  PR usually presents with a singular lesion (known as the herald patch) which starts 1 to 30 days prior to the other lesions.  This lesion is scaly and red.  This lesion is also usually on the trunk, although very rarely it can be on the legs, arms or face.  Other skin lesions then emerge 1 to 30 days after the herald patch.  These lesions start as red spots and progress to larger red bumps in the shape of ovals.  Again - all of these lesions should resolve on their own - without any treatment, and skin will be normal afterwards. It is theorized that PR is cauzed by a virus.  
I had this 34 yrs ago at the age of 7, they diagnose as Granuloma, it came back at the age of 37 and had a spot on my chin, that grew to the size of volleyball that wrapped around my leg. then magically went away on its on. Now 3 yrs later it's back with a vengance! first was spot on my leg again, then my lower adomen, then my bottem, then 2 more spots on my right leg. And now one on top of my foot, just right above it. the only thing that relives it is Predisone, and very hot water, but can't stay on that. The itching is horrible. I'm not even a scratcher! It's very ugly and sure doesn't make you feel pretty thats for sure. Being single, poses a real problem to the sitiuation. Now we are off to try Elidel which cost $338.00 a tube, and a lotion. Crazy, would really like to know how I got it.... It's driving me mad!
What lotion should I use if i am diagnosed with Spongiotic Dermatitis.
I have used different lotions and it makes me feel itchy after applying..
Can I used goat's milk based lotion?
To everyone with skin issues - in many cases, skin problems are a direct result of food allergies. Specifically, allergies to gluten, casein (protein in milk - also called whey protein) and Red Dye #40.  I have learned this the very hard way...with decades of dandruff, eczema, itching so bad I felt like my skin was crawling, rashes, and itchy blisters. I've been through all of the creams, topical solutions and antibiotics. The ONLY thing that has helped me long-term is going gluten- and casein-free and stopping eating stuff with Red Dye #40 in it. It has been a challenge because these ingredients are in a ton of stuff...but if you really want relief, try it! Your skin problems are your body telling you you're eating something it's allergic to. Your doctor probably won't tell you that...but they will prescribe you everything under the sun and keep you on steroids for years. Get a food allergy test, see what you have a reaction to, and stop eating those things. It's different for everyone, but the common theme is usually gluten and casein (casein is often the main issue for sinus problems, too - thank God I figured that out! Sinus infection-free for 4 years now!).

Red Dye #40 is also a big cause of itchy skin. Look into it. It's in a bunch of processed foods. Stop eating that and see if the itching lessens.

I hate to read about all these people suffering for years, using steroid cream after cream. I've been there. The problem is what you are putting in your body. Your body is freaking out on the surface because it's trying to tell you stuff you're eating is harming you. Change that and change your life. I can't tell you what a difference it's made for me. For the first time in my life...I never get sick, I'm itch- and rash-free, I have energy like a normal person, and I'm not embarrassed because of my skin. Good luck! I hope this helps. :)
I was unable to do Aqua-fit for several months, last Monday I did go and the itching began that night.  Mostly my ankles and legs have small, hard bumps.  Since this had been very bad last January, I recognized the symptoms.  Now I'm wondering if I have a Swimingpool ( Chlorine) Rash?
I was just told I have spongiotic after going to 5 different Drs over 24 mos of Itch & rash and not sleeping
I am sure that it has something to do with diet. I assume that each one of the infected will have a different type of diet issue that will lead to relief of this horrible illness. Therefore anyone the has beat this  infection with diet or life style changes  please E-mail me @ ***@****.    
You can get pityriasis rosea as an adult.  I was diagnosed with it by a dermatologist when I was 27.  I've also read that you cannot get it again, but have just returned from the doctor having received the pathology report on a skin biopsy from a lesion on my chest. The report suggests that "prominent lymphocyte exocytosis raise the possibility of Pityriasis rosea."  I'm now 43 years old.  Strangely, my 13 year old daughter was diagnosed with it only a couple of months ago.  She showed the classic pattern, as her rash spread from the front of her torso to the back, up her neck, then onto her thighs.  It resolved itself after a few weeks.
Had a biopsy done in october and the results came back saying I had spongiotic dermatitis.Before the diagnosis, had been taking lots of cetirizine tablets and emmollient creams for the itching and burning rash.Like other sufferers it began by noticing small red dots on my legs and as they got bigger the more itchy they got.They got to the size of a 50p piece then became all scabby and flakey.After the biopsy I was given Dermovate ointment but didnt want to be using another pharmaceutical prescribed cream.On the advice of a friend who is a Naturopath I have started to take Aloe Vera Juice,Nettle tea, Burdock capsules and Dandelion capsules.By taking these supplements in the right doseage the transformation is amazing.The skin is alot clearer with no flakeyness or redness,the itching has all but gone and have been sleeping soundly at night.(the itching use to wake me up 3 or 4 times a night).Might not work for everyone but its helped me an awful lot.Theres no changes to my diet or lifestyle so for me using a natural herbal solution is,fingers crossed the answer.
my son has been fighting a rash for 3-4 weeks that started with just a couple of bumos on inner forearm and thigh.  He developed a runny nose 2nd day and after giving tylenol cold he flared up all over his body.  Dr and Dermetlogist both said it was viral rash.  Gave zirtec and benadryl and steriod oint. got better then worse, double treatment, got better then twice as worse than the first batch.  All creams and ointments were buring skin.  Ended up in ER.  Dr wanted steroids started orally but derm. Dr said no.  Then at folow up two days later they said "Wow, you need steroids!"  so upset, we now have to do steroids for 30 days orally and topically.  Zofran for nausea and lots of Zertec and benadryl.  They biopsied the legs and found Spongiatic dermatitis and are telling me its not from allergy.  I disagree.  I has to be allergic to something if it keeps reoccurring.  He has an underlying tinia versacolor (High yeast in skin, losing pigment)  this may be making it worse, but allergy Dr. still isn't sure its an allergic reaction either.  He has been skin tested but not blood tested.  Trying to figure out next step.  They told us we would see a derm Dr that specialized in patch testing.  We do know he is allergic to chromium and think it is this that could be causing all of this, but they say a long shot.  The best over the counter  cream is SARNA cream/lotion.  It is about $10 at the pharmacy and has a cooling agent ans well as camphor.
I have been to Allergists and 3 of the top Dermatologists in Houston and have finally been diagnosed with probable Psoriasis and spongiotic derm.  I have used 5 different types of Steroid lotions.The last advise was to  Cleanse with dove soap then use a layer of Psorent topical solution  then a layer of Halobetasol Propionate Ointment with a final layer of Vinicream (over the counter lotion) purchased from the last Dermatologist. This treatment will shrink the rash and ease the itching.  The itch is unbearable and sharp shooting pains come with it.  They are wanting me to start on Methotrexate to keep the Psoriasis from going into my system as Arthritis. I am not going to take it.  I am hoping to reach out and ask for opinions and advise.  I have to get off the Steroid creams and will not compromise my liver with Methotrexate. Once I slack off the cream the rash comes back.  I am not overweight and have a very healthy diet. I have had extensive tested for allergies and have none. I work out 4 to 5 days a week and am an avid bicyclist. Now because of the rash am having trouble riding as much as I am used to.  It is becoming very depressing and I need help!!!
There is a mild RX Steroid cream I was prescribed for my shins that works well and usually will go away in 2 days. It is a mixture of Moisturel over the counter lotion and Kenalog 40 mg. This will have to be prescribed and the Pharmacist will mix.  I get this rash if I am out in the sun.
how much time does it take to get removed from one's body if he/she is having it from past 5 years
I was told I have this condition. I don't believe it for one minute. I developed a pattern of sores on my R arm, then L and then legs, since last July. The skin biopsy from R upper shoulder only 1 done, was lichenoid dermatitis with increased dermal mucin(this is natural hyaluronic acid) between the dermis and epidermis. The doc lied to me, he knew exactly what is was and was just waiting for this to occur. I guessed immediately. I'd had 2 MRI's with Gadolinium metal, Sep and Dec 2010. My Vit D was a known low at 22.9. In July 2011 I got the skin sores until now, with Rx of Clobetasol, Dovenox not filled, even told heat rash. It's gadolinium metal from MRI's. I had sx prior, difficulty walking, R arm tremor, they begged for skin biopsy in 2008. see fda.gov blackbox warning, MD asked me if I take any Chinese herbs? I said, NO, they have metal in them, prior phone calls to me were: don't eat anymore foods w mercury, odd call, my level was 2,  range 1-10, once: no more radiation, , well, MRI's don't use radiation, but the contrast is metal, not radioactive, CT contrasts and scans are radioactive. I knew it was the metal. I had new derm send to mayomedicallaboratories com search G for gadolinium, It's not rare. I do have some dec kidney function, they avoided this topic all together, even wrote I do not have it, what a lie. I called Immunology fellow next day, sat early am, asked about gadolinium, yeah, we know all about it, what it does, he documents in my chart, I called to see if biopsy was being evaluated by dermpath. not even discussed, they've lied about this. see nyas.org Fourth Annual NSF conference e briefing 13 Sept 2010, listen to it, see all slides,  yale.edu, pathmax has some good info, but there are way more than 366 cases Cowper lists, this is a lie, this is his own site, Danish studies in 1997 knew about it and earlier. see mri side effects, from description of this spongititis, this is not what happens to me. I have pics and they know exactly where to biopsy. Do not get MRI injections for any part of the body, it accumulates, CT contrast is TC 99 or technetium, from Molybdenum, nuclear fission, nuc waste for med use, tracer with other radionuclides, look it up. see auntminnie com or rsna org or www fiercebiotech com for CT radiation doses, pediatric, they know the lethal dose of radiation, new articles about CT head/sinus and dental xrays and radiation induced cancers, they know all this.
Thank you, it makes a lot of sense to me.  I've had this rash for years. Its no in the ankes and plantar of both feet.  The blisters, itchy ones went away when I changed dish detergent from Dawn to Palmolive clean and clear. Gone.  The foods I will give it a try. Most the problems I see are cause by all the additives to foods, milk, etc. Thanks for the advice. I will check it out.  remember, change the soaps.  I've tried organic foods, I don't believe it. It takes approx. 10 years to clean a farm from chemicals to clean soil.  Where is there clean soil??
You are almost telling me my own story. The doctor hasn't requested me to do any allergic test as yet. Please keep me posted with your progress. Thanks
I have this too....been to 3 derms!  They just keep prescribing cream which will work until i stop using it...Now I have been reading that the topical steroids become highly addictive and make it worse!  So I am using nothing now and itching like crazy!   (I went to the itsan.org website to learn about the dangers of topical steroid addiction and it made sense.)
Thank-you! It all makes some much sense. I have been battling this since the age of 8, that I can remember. I am now 26.  I thought I was just lactose intolerant, however it still comes back slowly.  I will now try this.  Steroids just don't work, it always comes back.
I have been diagnosed with spongiotic psorriasis dermatitis (after a biopsy) my doctor sent me to phototherapy, all kinds of creams but nothing seems to help, I have it on my legs back chest and arms (since Januray 2013) have had allergic tests where nothing was found....can you help me?
Thanks for inspiring me. My Lichenoid dermatitis is still in limited areas, as I always prefer the natural option, I may follow your path just to see what happens. However, I know that in Asia urino-therapy is wide spread and used for many illnesses including  cancer. The content of urea in it is very helpful for the skin regeneration. I will also try rubbing it on because it is produced by my own body and contains the medicine I need to heal myself. Thanks.
Have you found anything that has helped? My friend has had this problem for FIVE years seen many doctors who give him different creams but nothing helps. Had two biosies conclusion is exactly what the told you.
***@****!
I have had spongiotic dermatitis for about 3 years. It forms mostly itchy lumps on my lower legs and lower arms but I get a few on my back and chest as well.
I have tried everything. The only thing that really works is prednisolone which I take for a few weeks and then go off. Unfortunately the prednislolone has given me a fat tummy and is no good for my bones.
After a week or so of scratching my legs into a bleeding mess I go back onto the Prednisolone and it is like a miracle cure while I am on it. Unfortunately when I wean myself down to 5mg per day for the last week of treatment it starts to come back. (I start on 25mg for a week and then drop off 5mg every week after that).