Dermatology Expert Forum
Spot on my Head

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Spot on my Head

First I need to point out that I really do panick about things and get stressed more than the average person. However I felt a spot on my scalp earlier today just like a small, hard spot well I went to the toilet and thought nothing of it until I saw how  red it was it looked like a blood spot.  I thought this may be just more red as my scalp is so pale in comparison to how a spot would look on my arm or body.Well me being me  I straight away went on the net and started seeing pages about precancerous growths etc.. and how they start as wart like lumps. I called my husband in tears (as I say I do panick) he said calm down it is probably just a spot dont be so silly. The thought of going to the doctors scares the hell out of me incase it is something really bad, so I thought I would try you first. In your opinion are there any harmless ailments this could be, like i say its just a small, spot but the reason I am worried is it looks bright red! i have messed with it though... I look forward to your response!! and hope that with me trying to be a doctor all these pages on growths is not what I have myself.

Thanks for listening

Mandy
Red spots can be anything or nothing.  If you just noticed it (on a part of your skin you could hardly fail to noice), than it's probably just a blocked pore or irritated blood vessel.  Now that you've messed with it, of course it will be redder, but that means nothing.

As a recovering hypochondriac myself, I know exactly what you're going through-- a mix of embarrassment and fear.

Do yourself (and your husband) a favor: get over your fear of seeing doctors.  Leave the spot alone and let them reassure you, as they surely will.  In future, get things checked out fast, so they won't panic you so much.

And in fairness to yourslef, lay off scary web pages.  As I hope this one is not.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff