Dermatology Expert Forum
Spots on ankles and legs

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Spots on ankles and legs

I have developed a rash of sorts. It consists of groups of red spots. A large picture is posted at http://coreson.com/rash/

It doesn't burn or itch. It can be somewhat hot to the touch.
It appears for between two and 5 days and then fades away. Its appearance and disappearance is VERY random. I haven't been able to tie it to any type of allergy.
My family doctor doesn't know what it is.
Any ideas?
These spots are called petechiae.  They can be associated with problems with blood clotting or with infection.  The fact that yours apparently come and go suggests that your case isn't either a blood or an infection problem.  In any case, you need to have blood tests to assess platelet function and clotting, and you should see a skin doctor as soon as you can arrange it.  A skin biopsy may be needed to find out exactly what it is.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Is that a raised rash or is it flat?  I couldn't tell from the picture.  If it is raised it could be what my daughter had, an allergic reaction to dairy.  She had a similar rash on her right arm and it took a while for a diagnosis...it was a ctually my watchful eye that helped find the diagnosis.  Her doc kept saying allergies to dairy don't produce rashes like this!  Anyway, if the rash is flat, and appears to be below the skin, it could be "petechiae" and that could be caused by systemic illnesses.  Your doc could do bloodwork to rule to rule those out.  The coming and going of the rash made me think it was like my daughter's rash.  I don't know if "petechiae" comes and goes like that.  We'll see what the doctor here has to say.  I wish you the best of luck!
A related discussion, red spots on the legs and feet was started.
A related discussion, New Red spots on both ankles was started.