Spotty Red Marks Across upper body/chest, What is it? Do i need to see ...

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Spotty Red Marks Across upper body/chest, What is it? Do i need to see a doctor?

Do I have an infection of some sort? These spotty faded red spots have popped up around 5-6 months ago and still with me to this day. Not Itchy or anything, Some days they are more visible then other days.. Its mostly across the chest area, a little on the back... Have changed laundry detergents and body wash several times and still nothing has changed this. Wondering if I might have a food allergy? Who would be able to look at it and figure out what it is?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

This may be a case of fungal infection. Fungal infection may not present with intense itching. They may present as red spots over the torso .These red spots may have a central clearing with some mild scaling. Have you had some bouts of flulike symptoms at the onset of your skin condition? Viral infections, allergic reactions may be differentials here. This may not be something urgent as this has been present for the past 5 or 6 months. You may have this assessed by a dermatologist. You may need some topical medications for this.

Have you tried applying any medications on the area?
Its just like light red spots across the chest area and a little onto the shoulders...Havent put anything on it because its not itching so not sure if its something to be cured from the outside-in. Im thinking its something within the body. First time Ive had this in my life so not really sure what to think. Its just like light red patches it kinda looks like, no scabbing or anything, and only on the upper body.........Havent been sick since I got this, no flu or anything...
I added a couple of pictures of me, wondering if can tell from the pic what it might be..... but like i said, no itching or pain or anything to go with it...
Avatar_dr_f_tn

These spots have been present for the past 5 months. Have they increased in number? Is there any increase in size? Any change in character like pain or itchiness?

If this has been present for months now, this may be something chronic or inflammatory. A fungal infection and a dermatitic skin reaction have to be considered here. I suggest that you have this assessed by your primary physician. You may need topical medications for this. A trial run of corticosteroids or antifungal agents may help determine diagnosis based on response of the skin condition.
They havent really increased, its just spotty and random across the upper body. If you click on the pics on my profile it will give you exactly what it happening. Took the pics today so thats up-to-date what it looks like... Just not sure a primary care doctor would know anything about it and have to see a dermatologist?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

I saw the images but the spots are not very clear. A primary care physician may have to perform a complete  physical examination just to rule out any association of these skin conditions to something more systemic. A dermatologic referral may be indicated if necessary. Although ,of course you may prefer straight consult with your dermatologist. Some  skin discolorations may suggest systemic disease conditions like an underlying neurologic problem but you have never mentioned any of these.
I saw a internal medicine doctor and it was diagnosed as Tinea which is a fungus within the body. I was prescribed Ketoconazole cream which has cleared it up almost, still taking it til its finished and it should be 100% cleared. Not sure what caused it but just a fungus of some sort as you anticipated!
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Tinea or fungal infections are pretty common and they usually affect the chest, the face and even the groin. They usually thrive in moist areas of the body. So try to keep your body dry most of the time. Avoid profuse sweating and change into dry clothes after gym or strenuous exercises. Do not allow wet clothes to dry on the skin. Take a bath everyday and wear clothes of light material to keep the skin cool and dry.

hey man i have the same thing and been wondering what i had but is the cream suppose to be prescribed only?
Hi I have this same thing but mine is burning and inching.
My girlfriend suffers from red spots on her chest i said maybe allergy to silver or silver plated could help others with the condition but these spots do not puss or contain puss they are just cherry red look a little agrivated but do not cause stress if anything its more about how they look and why they form they are spreading question is do you think a baby powder (talc) could help?.
Hey Batman

only 5 years later, I know. I got similar spots on my chest and back as well. I first tried antifungal cream, but I eventually turned to rubbing the spots with apple vinegar and lemon (it may itch like hell). You can just try it with the apple vinegar if the itching gets too bad. After two or three days, the spots should be gone. Vinegar is way cheaper than those creams, especially if the damn spots keep coming back. Cheers.
I'm 34 male, and just started getting a whole lot of stuff wrong with me, high cholesterol, triglisrine, etc.. as well, I also started having these red dots, and some hives, with excruciating heart burns.

Lately, I have been going through a lot of stress, loss of family member, and business stress. I had been going crazy trying to figure out what's going on with me.  Recent blood work:  No STD's, all other blood work other than Lipid panel is good. Negative for H Pylori.

1. Started eating super healthy, and working out, -- Heartburns are gone
2. Started taking Hydroxyzine- Hives are gone

3. BUT, still getting these red dots, on shoulder, upper chest, some thighs, they are spots, but every once in a while, they link and just join a real big patch of redness. Now the difference of mine compared to others is that mine goes away relatively quickly. Also, when I rest my arms somewhere, anywhere, that specific spot get supper red.

Now, I've been keeping a diary of what I eat, do etc.... Vanessa's comment on Tinea was helpful, been looking into that, and considering some OTC fungal meds.

Here is the wierd part, and maybe someone can help me out with this, seems like every time I get gassy, the breakout happens????? like when I have Viniger, spicy foods, dairy (i'm lactose intolerant to some degree) etc.....

can anyone comment on this?

Thanks,

can anyone comment on this?

Thanks,
ive got the exact same thing can you let me know what you find out/ end up doing for it? cheers
how often did you use vinegar a day and did you scrub it or just put it on your skin  and  did it ever come back i apologize for all the questions but i have had this since i was 17 ive tried the cream it didn't work very well it went away and came right back please help