Spreading Itchy Pimple Rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Spreading Itchy Pimple Rash

4564392?1245072496
Three days ago, I noticed an few itchy pimple bumps around my knees.  I tried to avoid scratching and moisturized as normal.  The next day, the bumps had spread up and down my legs, both sides, more concentrated on my shins than thighs.  The bumps were now a mixture of itchy red pimples and small swellings, slightly lighter in color.  Yesterday the bumps had spread to my forearms.  Today they are on my neck, upper chest, behind my ears, and along my cheek bone and nose, as well as everywhere else already mentioned (but not on my back, stomach, or hips/butt).  

The spots on my legs that were present in the beginning no longer itch as they did at first, it is mainly my neck, face, and arms.  Sometimes the spots will go away (like now, I have almost no bumps on my right forearm) but then they come back again.

I scratched a few times and noticed that some bled slightly, whilst others oozed a small amount of clear fluid.  Scratching does not make the pimples swell up much, just itch more.

I went to the doctor this morning who said it was dry skin, and to moisturize (which I already do, as well as eat healthily and drink plenty).  They didn't think it was an allergy but wouldn't rule it out.

The only unusual thing I have had recently is a few Brazil nuts, but that was earlier last week, about 3 or 4 days before the symptoms.  I have tried E45, a moisturizer, and so far, no effect.

Please please help me, as I am meant to be revising for exams and it is very distracting!  Also, it looks and feels terrible.

Thank you.

Vittoria
I thought I might also add, for what it's worth:

I recently went through 3 weeks of being ill, first a cold, then lung infection.  I am on the pill, and the symptoms started the first day of not taking the pill during the 28 day cycle.

I also just read an article about 'Folliculitis'... could this be what I am suffering from?

V
More like an urticarial rash.Would respond to ext application of calamine,and antihistamine at bedtime.
Thank you for your help. How long does the reaction last for?  I will go get those things tomorrow as it is now too late.

I went to the doctor today and they had no idea what it was - I thought hives were meant to be really obvious?  The bumps I have are like little red pimples, like there is pus inside, but very small.  I don't have any welts.

Once again thank you for your help!

V
I now have cream and antihistamines... how long are the symptoms going to last for?  So far, no decrease in rashes, tho it's only been 3 hours or so.

V
It will settle once the antihistamine starts working agaist histamine, which cause symptoms.Itching should get less in a few hrs.
Thank you very much for all of your help!  The swelling has started to reduce now, and the itching is less severe.

How long should I take the antihistamines for?  Until I use all 7 in the packet or until my skin has returned to normal (either in fewer days than 7 or many more, in which case I need to get more tablets)?

Once again, thank you very much!

V
If symptoms disappear also best to complete 7 days course ,which should be good enough.
Just to let you know:

The first set of antihistamines had no affect (cetirizine hydrochloride) so I was put on another set (fexofenadine) which seems to have greatly reduce the swelling and rash.  I now only have itching on my legs, which does not swell up unless I forget and itch it.

Thanks for your help.

V