Spreading rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Spreading rash

I have a rash that started on my left elbow. It is crusted and very hard, the skin starts out very red but as the scab forms it will dry to a white color. It is not painful but does itch occasionally. I have been to many doctors and no one has given me a answer, I actually have heard "I don't know" almost every time, the rest just called it eczema. Now here's the biggest problem. It has spread over the course of a year to both elbows, both knees, the heels of both feet and now to the hair area of the groin. The heels are the only part that is painful, it has scabbed very thick and cracks and bleeds occasionally.
I have used pretty much every over the counter topical treatment and nothing has helped even slightly, in fact, neosporin tends to make it worse.
Any ideas on where to start would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

It could be eczema, sweat dermatitis or psoriasis.

Eczema is a form of chronic dermatitis (rash).Allergic reaction is one of the important causes of eczema. Allergic reaction can occur to strong soaps, Solvents, chemicals, certain foods, food additives, plants, metals, cosmetics, even urine and faeces of some animals (dust mites).Psoriasis commonly causes red scaly patches to appear on the skin. Plaques frequently occur on the skin of the elbows and knees and are mostly found on the extensor aspect of the joint.

Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone as dermacort), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide). Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin.Treatment of psoriasis is specific and includes mainly steroids,coal tar,anthralin,UV rays phototherapy and systemic treatment.

I sincerely advise you to consult a dermatologist and discuss these possibilities with him.
Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted if you have any additional doubts.