Steatocystoma Multiplex

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Steatocystoma Multiplex

I've been having little acne looking bumps on my chest area for more than 5yrs and have been mis-diagnosed by some dermatologists as acne.  Recently a dermatologist did a biopsy on a bump and lab results confirmed that I have Steatocystoma Multiplex.  The area of SM growth has been spreading over the years and I'm worried that it might get worse. I've squeezed some of them in the past and left unpleasant looking scars.  The doctor suggested that he could make small incision on every bump to clean up the cysts but I'm worried that the cuts will leave unpleasant scars and marks.  So I wonder whether there are alternative treatments?  Also, I want to understand what's been causing me to have the cysts for long-term prevention?  Are there certain type of food that I should avoid?  I'm seeking for second opinions before I consent to the surgery.  Thank you!  
I'm from Croatia and I have the same problem like  you. I inherited Steatocystoma  from my father and grand father so I know a lot about it. Some solution that could help is that you drink Roaccutane in combination withe very small incisions, but I wouldn' recommend you classic surgery, i would recommend you to go cosmetic surgery, on dermatology to people who actually do that.
I have been getting more and more of these "bumps" as I get older. I will be 60 on May 31, 2009. I remember my mother having them.  I went for a massage once and the girl refused to touch me because she didn't want to catch it.  Guess this is just something I will have to live with.
I am going for a consultation with a plastic surgeon. My internal medicine doctor recommended it.  All the medical reports of steatocystoma have been successful with plastic surgeons and extirpating it with needles. One thing I would like to learn is why people both men and women develop it in the late teens, early adulthood. They started showing up when I turned 17. I been dealing with it for 5 years. I inherited this skin disorder from my father. I never wanted children but this is just another reason not to have my own and adopt instead.
hi im Gani.... i just want to ask if wat spcific method or treatment can i do to make this sm dissapear....? my dermatolosist told me to peel it off but still.., it will be a temporary method..
i have this for over 3 years... and maybe hundreds already formed including small ones...
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers