Dermatology Expert Forum
Steroid Acne
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Steroid Acne

I never break out except for tiny patches of menstrual acne on my upper back, etc (the usual stuff with periods).  However, about a week ago, I developed a true rash on my upper chest and a little on my left side, which developed into acne pustules that are now large and painful.  Then a few days later, (last Friday), I developed a condition on my jaws and cheeks of dense flesh-colored bumps (some are red like acne).  These, too, have puss in them like acne.  I went to the Dermatologist today, and after ruling out itching and liver disease (the bumps don't itch at all), he asked me if I had taken any steriods lately.  I informed him that three weeks ago, I got a cortisone shot for poison ivy, and that the doctor told me she was giving me a strong dose due to the prevalence of poison ivy in this area this year.  The shot was obviously strong, because I had a little trouble breathing (like someone was sitting on my chest) and I broke out into a sweat about one hour after getting it.  The dermatologist said he had no doubt that I was suffering from steroid acne and he prescribed Ceftin? and Nizorol? (Spelling??)  I went home and looked it up on the internet, but everything kept saying that steroid acne comes from oral steroids.  I found nothing that linked my condition to a cortisone shot.  Does the DX and RX sound correct?  And if so, how long will it be before I see an improvement?  I'm not used to dealing with such unsightly breakouts and it is really taking its toll on me emotionally.